Author Topic: Curing time for Hickory?  (Read 5502 times)

Offline GreenwoodBlacksmith

• Midwest Bushcraft
Re: Curing time for Hickory?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 09:14:22 am »
I made a hickory bow last winter in 2 months from stump to bow including sinew it ended up being one of my best shooting bows  I ended up force drying the ruffed out stave by sealing the back and ends with shellac & hanging it from the sealing above a heater vent , these days I'm not as much in a hurry I weigh the ruffed out stave with a digital food scale  & keep weighing it tell it quits losing weight & then I do a little more force drying with a electric blanket , but if your in a big hurry you could ruff it out &  put it on the wall inside @ 50% RH for a month it probably would be good to go for a serviceable bow That's what was recommended to me when I asked the same question you did.

The electric blanket is a brilliant idea! Thanks!
C.M.A.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."~Theodore Roosevelt

“High technology has done us one great service: It has retaught us the delight of performing simple and primordial tasks - chopping wood, building a fire, drawing water from a spring”~Edward Abbey
Attachments area

• Midwest Bushcraft
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 09:15:41 am »
What part of Iowa you from Greenwood?

The Waterloo/Cedar Falls area.
C.M.A.

“High technology has done us one great service: It has retaught us the delight of performing simple and primordial tasks - chopping wood, building a fire, drawing water from a spring”~Edward Abbey
Attachments area

• Midwest Bushcraft
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 09:31:30 am »
I think the only way through this is to cut a half dozen or more staves. Speed dry 1 or 2 in whatever way you can for as long as you can stand it and start makin'. Just accept the fact that the first bows will be a little sub standard. They will still shoot fine. Be happy in the fact that your future bows will have better wood to start with.

Great advice. Thanks!
C.M.A.

Attachments area

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 08:40:46 pm »
I have used an aluminum dryer vent hose about 6 ft long, hung from the floor joists in my basement with a 60 watt light bulb in the bottom of it for a dry box.
Just hang the bow or bow blank from the joist inside the aluminum hose with the light bulb in the bottom will be just like a dry box.  The heat rising through the hose creates an air flow from the bottom to top with a heat source to help the drying process........I have dried three hickory staves to bow dimensions in just a few days with this system.  And I use it during the tillering process to keep the stave dry......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

• Midwest Bushcraft
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 04:03:40 pm »
I have used an aluminum dryer vent hose about 6 ft long, hung from the floor joists in my basement with a 60 watt light bulb in the bottom of it for a dry box.
Just hang the bow or bow blank from the joist inside the aluminum hose with the light bulb in the bottom will be just like a dry box.  The heat rising through the hose creates an air flow from the bottom to top with a heat source to help the drying process........I have dried three hickory staves to bow dimensions in just a few days with this system.  And I use it during the tillering process to keep the stave dry......
DBar

I am definitely doing this! Thanks!
C.M.A.

Attachments area

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 04:10:31 pm »
When you do this keep checking for checking  ;D. Especially for the first few days or weeks. Turn the bow/stave top for bottom regularly. It's a great method but sometimes it can be a little too fast for wet/damp wood.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 05:12:54 pm »
The summer cut hickory staves that I debarked over the summer were very damp I would have been afraid to force drying them tell I had them inside @ 50% RH for a couple weeks  I would make sure the ends & back were sealed with shellac , wood loses a lot of moisture quickly for the first couple of weeks after being cut .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 09:41:17 pm »
OK.Your a good 5 hours from me.I'm by Corydon,Iowa.About an hour or so straight south of Des Moines.By the Missouri border.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed