Author Topic: Exhaust heater  (Read 3272 times)

Offline sleek

Exhaust heater
« on: November 06, 2016, 07:12:31 pm »
Before anyone says I'm crazy, this is used on aircraft. Im wondering about a way to shroud my exhaust, and pump air over it and into my truck to heat the back camper area while I drive, so I have a warm place to sleep when Im driving long distances.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bow101

Re: Exhaust heater
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:47:07 pm »
The old VW bugs had that type of heat.  I know I had one, it worked great.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 11:20:23 pm »
I would be more tempted to put a heater core in the camper and plumb hot coolant from the engine. I'm sure you could find some quick connects somewhere. Sucking the air off an exhaust system leaves you open to carbon monoxide(again!). I had an old bug and the heater didn't work worth ship.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 12:42:01 am »
He doesn't want to pump the exhaust into the camper just the heat. He said "shroud the exhaust", meaning pipe around pipe to collect the heat radiating off the exhaust and pump that in. Granted if the inner pipe sprung a leak into the hot air pipe he'd die in his sleep, but barring that it seems sound in theory.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Orrum

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:04:41 am »
Sleek you want to buy a closed cell foam pad to put on your mattress, it can be as little as a half a inch thick. Then get a goose down comforter. Bud I have slept very comfortably in my horse trailer in very freezing temps! I also use a Little Buddy heater in my slide in camper. It has a oxygen sensor and a tip over sensor. I turn it on on very cold days and in a few minutes it is toasty, then I turn the heater off but leave the pilot burning and it is good enough. I hang a tea kettle over it overnite and the water is like a radiator plus in the morning I turn the heater on high and have hot water for coffee and instant oatmeal!!!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:52:34 am »
Look for an electric heater. I used to have one for my trucks bed. Worked great.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 03:25:43 pm »
The old VW bugs had that type of heat.  I know I had one, it worked great.

I'll quote myself..... :)   never had any exhaust leaks.  The old Radial aircraft used the same system.  I'm still here as I type in the flesh.  ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:31:54 pm »
He doesn't want to pump the exhaust into the camper just the heat. He said "shroud the exhaust", meaning pipe around pipe to collect the heat radiating off the exhaust and pump that in. Granted if the inner pipe sprung a leak into the hot air pipe he'd die in his sleep, but barring that it seems sound in theory.

I know what he said and fully understand the concept. I also know that once something is shrouded there is no easy way of checking inside the shroud for exhaust leaks. If he has a stainless exhaust system -maybe. I also remember hearing of a few Volkswagen and airplane  deaths due to carbon monoxide leaks. But you know best, fill your boots.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 04:52:41 pm »
If I were going to rig up something to the exhaust pipe to heat inside I would use liquid to do it, wrap a coil around the exhaust and use an aquarium pump (you can get them in 12v easy) and a heater core for a radiator and a computer fan to blow the hot air, all 12v and will prevent even the possibility of CO.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 05:35:56 pm »
Now that's an idea. The guys that steam clean carpets in your house just have a few wraps of copper tube around the exhaust manifold.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 08:39:12 pm »
My Cesena 150 has a heater like that, most air cooled engines do because they cant use hot water from a heater core. I think DC has the right idea. It really should be a pretty simple job and much safer. The buddie heater I think good way to go to. My brother has one in his gun blind has it hooked to 20 lb propane can.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 09:56:48 pm »
I do like the copper coil wrapped around a pipe. I was talking to gundoc and he said it would probably be easier to just plumb in the water I already have circulating through my engine, and add a second heater core back there. That honestly may be the route I take, and add a large reservoir back there to hold heat also.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
Is it insulated?  Does it have windows?  You might not get enough heat to make much of a difference. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 11:12:45 pm »
It has windows, but i insulated it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 07:45:51 pm »
I agree with GunDoc, it's simple to run hoses not so much for a bunch of duct work . I'd put a shut off valve in the line to turn it off when not in use.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise