Author Topic: Time it takes to make a bow  (Read 7044 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Time it takes to make a bow
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 01:44:11 am »
I'll use a chain saw for cutting the tree. I split by hand. LOL. That;s getting toughter as I age. I use a hatchet for roughing out. Then go to a draw knife and clean the stave up with a  belt sander. Then hand tools only for tillering.

It take a good 30-50 hours but who's counting? This is my hobby. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline FilipT

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 03:24:10 am »
I cut the sapling and debark it same day, then mark bow layout and shape it in rough bow shape. That takes me maybe 5 hours. Then I clamp it to a aluminum "U" profile and put it in attic for a month. Then when it loses most of weight I make him in almost finished state, leaving enough thickness taper for tillering, that is 2 hours maybe. I put it in house near radiator (in winter) or outside in a shed (summer) for at least a week.

Tillering will take me at least 20 hours. So somewhere around 27+ hours. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 04:57:50 am »
There is a lot of thinking time, and time that gets forgotten... an hour to fell the tree and split, but how long to find the tree and drive to and fro, prepping, sorting, stacking staves etc.
I always say 50 hours, but I've made a shootable bow in 1 hour... mind that didn't include finding the stave in the woodland.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 08:29:49 am »
I estimate around 30-40 hours for my typical bows.  But this usually includes straightening, recurves, skins/stain, grip, tip overlays, string, sealer, etc.  So I guess most of that time is spent on the finish work.   But like Clint said, if I'm going to invest my time into something, I go all out. 
Now arrows, I spend another 10-15 hours on a set of 4-6 dogwood's

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 08:54:27 am »
30 to 40 hours is a good ball park figure for me too. As time is becoming more of a premium, I've stopped making arrow shelves and design everything for 'shooting off the knuckle', this saves me a lot of time.

In the Ed Scott video interviews he addresses this question in terms of various styles of bows.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 10:18:13 am »
Sometimes I use power tools to cut the tree down and sometimes by hand.  I don't cut saplings so if done by hand you can add at least an hour to the 5 minutes it takes with a chainsaw.  Splitting 1 stave out from the tree might take an hour even when kerfing with a circular saw, which I do all the time.  Removing the bark and roughing out a straight limb bow adds another hour or more if it's HHB, I do use some power tools here.  The tillering might take me 5 or 6 hours and finishing it up is another 8 hours, I spend more time sanding, finishing the tips and setting up the handle as I do tillering.  Applying the finish is more of a waiting game, probably less than an hour total for the actual application and buffing up in between coats.  I guess that runs about 20 to 25 hours.  I'm not counting the scouting here because that is just too much fun to include it as work  :).
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:05 am »
Thanks for all the responses folks! I've always wondered whether my 30-40 hours is normal, or whether I'm a slowpoke. It looks like I'm pretty normal, though there are certainly folks who can bang out a bow in less time.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:16 am »
I would say 20/30 hours, I do most times use a band saw to rough out  , I am about like Brad, hard to say for sure because I have several project going at ones and sometimes it may take a year or two for me to complete. In no real hurry unless it is getting close to hunting season and I have given all my hunting bows away, ???  then it don't take near as long. ;) :) Sometimes I am in the mood to rough out a stave and lay a bow out, then throw it in the barrel and work on it when I feel the urge maybe a year or 3 down the road.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 11:17:19 am »
      I think it has a lot to do with why we are building a bow. I start off each bow thinking it might be a world record flight bow. If everything continues to go right ( No set) I will continue to add reflex or recurve the tips a bit more. I see the tillering and tweaking process as my entertainment, 90% of the time I will end up pushing it just a bit further than it should have been pushed. This is where I call it quits and go a ahead and sand it down and seal it. I seldom ever get around to actually finishing a bow. Not unusual for me to play around with a bow for several days, testing, shooting and working it with the heat gun.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 11:24:46 am »
Actual hands on working time from cutting to finishing can be as much as 20 hours generally or more.Assuming the wood is dry and ready.Waiting on things can drag the finished bow to finish a month down the road.That's with no sinew.For just a plain old straight long bow.Chain saw the tree.Split the staves.Debark and chase the ring.Cut the rough profile out with the band saw.Get a lot closer with the farriers rasp and spindle sander to floor tiller.That amount there 8 to 10 hours I'd say.Tillering generally 3 to 4 hours.Shooting it in a good 2 weeks at least 20 to 30 hours to almost 500 arrows with at least an hour fitting a leather handle to it yet.Finishing a week with actual hands on work 2 hours.
If there are any issues along the way sometimes it can take twice as long.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Limbit

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 01:47:18 am »
Seems to depend a lot on the wood and the tool as well. I hammered through soft wood bows like backed juniper or red cedar(assuming it isn't sinewed) pretty quickly. Maybe just 8 hours start to finish excluding shooting it in. When I have a hardwood (for me in Taiwan I have acacia, cassaurina, guava, persimmon and mock-orange) I imagine it takes me significantly more than that. I just do it in little 1-2 hour segments every day and it will go well over a month. I'm sure if I were more adept, I would be more picky and slower. Like Badger said, I kind of play with a bow a bit hoping to have my new favourite bow and rarely if ever completely finish one because it falls short somewhere along the way. I don't count the time much because of this, just work with the wood as I pull the bow out, experiment and learn. The tool you use makes a big difference too. I noticed you can chop a huge portion of time off by using cabinet scrappers for the final tillering and shaping because you won't be wasting time sanding with sandpaper. The guys at Bickerstaffe Bows do it this way.

Offline AttieBotes

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 05:37:37 am »
You guys are pretty quick. If its a board bow (excluding glue dry-time and waiting etc) I would say a simple D bow can be finished in as little as 8hours. A stave bow, with shaping and bending and finishing (without any type of backing) can take me up to 40+ hours. But I have found myself tweaking a bow and its finish for several weeks after I have started shooting it...;)

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 11:22:40 am »
I agree with Bryce that the finish time seems to take forever and a day. At least ever since these guys turned me onto tru oil. Thanks a lot. Lol

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 08:07:56 pm »
Already told about my time to make a bow. But I probably should admit there's not much primitive about my methods. This certainly applies to the finish. My bows get one, or at most two coats of lacquer sanding sealer. It dries in less than an hour and is good to go. Sometimes, I'll sand lightly after the first coat and apply a second.

Thing is, I like shooting much more than I like making bows, so I get them shooting pretty quickly.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 09:03:40 pm »
My standard answer to someone inquiring about a bow from me, I tell them 14 years and 40 hours.  The fourteen years to learn what I know and the 40 hours to do it.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.