Author Topic: Leather Shirt Questions  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Thunder

Leather Shirt Questions
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:14:09 pm »
So, a friend of mine has mentioned several times over the years that she has this cool leather shirt that I would probably like. But I never got around to asking if I could see it. Last week she called and said I'm going to be moving around with work and wanted to give me something. It is a pretty cool leather (War?) shirt, looks like its veggie tanned leather. My question are, what's a good way to "age" it?  Would smoking it help? Some kind of leather treatment/oil?  And what are some ideas on "dressing" it up. I'd like to start wearing it, but it looks so new.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Spotted Dog

Re: Leather Shirt Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 04:24:29 pm »
 A walnut hull over dye. It has to be cold though. Hot WILL RUIN it.
Wring it out, run a rod through the sleeves and let it dry. When dry wad it up ,
shake it out and it's aged. It doesn't take long to take color. 

Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:06:07 pm »
Send it to me for aging. I will wear it while
eating spaghetti and drinking red wine. >:D
Really nice shirt. I think it's a marriage shirt. >:D >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 07:09:09 pm »
Spotted Dogs' way should work.Smoking too.Otherwise about a full summer of camping at about a dozen rendezvous would give it some petina.It's a chrome tan type leather.Pretty durable.After being wet it'll come back out soft with a little scuffing.Nice score for yourself.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 10:13:00 am »
I would say dogs way would work fine but as Beadman said just wear it in all your outside activities and it will weather soon enough, I been wondering how to clean one of mine up a bit that I wear a lot in the winter. ;) :) Like and old bow with some use they begin to show a lot of character pretty quickly. By the way very cool shirt. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Thunder

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 10:52:20 am »
A walnut hull over dye. It has to be cold though. Hot WILL RUIN it.
Wring it out, run a rod through the sleeves and let it dry. When dry wad it up ,
shake it out and it's aged. It doesn't take long to take color. 

Dog

Thanks for the info Spotted Dog, I may try that on another project of mine first.

Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Thunder

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:00:13 am »
Send it to me for aging. I will wear it while
eating spaghetti and drinking red wine. >:D
Really nice shirt. I think it's a marriage shirt. >:D >:D
Zuma
Hey Zuma thats funny, but I could save myself some postage by letting my 8 yr old son wear it to school. Haha
Marriage shirt?  :o

Thunder

Offline Thunder

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 11:02:43 am »
Spotted Dogs' way should work.Smoking too.Otherwise about a full summer of camping at about a dozen rendezvous would give it some petina.It's a chrome tan type leather.Pretty durable.After being wet it'll come back out soft with a little scuffing.Nice score for yourself.
Thanks Beadman, that's very helpful information.

Cheers
Thunder

Offline Thunder

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:06:12 am »
I would say dogs way would work fine but as Beadman said just wear it in all your outside activities and it will weather soon enough, I been wondering how to clean one of mine up a bit that I wear a lot in the winter. ;) :) Like and old bow with some use they begin to show a lot of character pretty quickly. By the way very cool shirt. :)
  Pappy
Thanks Pappy
I think I may try smoking it first then just keep wearing it. ;D

Cheers
Thunder

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 07:47:54 pm »
"a friend of mine has mentioned several times over the years that she has this cool leather shirt that I would probably like. "

Well, perhaps you are already married. And can have female friends :laugh: :laugh:
Zuma
Oh maybe she is married. ;D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.