Author Topic: Take Down Longbow Design Question  (Read 1773 times)

Offline jaxenro

Take Down Longbow Design Question
« on: October 30, 2016, 09:24:42 am »
When making a take down longbow which is essentially joined by a tube type device under the handle would you first profile and tiller the bow then cut and fit the take down mechanism then tiller again as needed?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Take Down Longbow Design Question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 09:39:44 am »
Attatch your male and female part to your billets first to fitting well.Slide them together.Then tiller your bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 12:36:50 pm »
I wouldn't make a take down from a perfectly good stave but that's just me. Heck, I've never made a take down and have billets to work with.
 For a take down I think I'd fit the handle first, making sure everything lines up well then begin the tillering process....but again I've never made one.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 01:08:08 pm »
Just finished this one, IMHO this is the way to go as long as the back is good and square. It simply collapses. No fuss No muss Gus.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,58650.0.html
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 01:09:59 pm »
If you cut a finished bow and then put the take down stuff in a slight misalignment could ruin your day. If you are putting a hinge in like Bow101 then after would be better I think.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 01:18:42 pm »
......"then tiller again as needed?"  yep you can do that. I prefer to do 90% of the tillering before I cut the bow.  Thats just me.

True enough cut it after, but doing it the FG sleeve way you can cut it then realign it.  Then build the FG sleeve. You need a good digital caliper to get it perfect or close to.  :)  I built an alignment jig for doing it after the cut..  But like I said before, an FG handle can be a nusiance after when pulling it apart unless you use metal sleeves.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 02:28:23 pm »
I wouldn't make a take down from a perfectly good stave but that's just me. Heck, I've never made a take down and have billets to work with.
 For a take down I think I'd fit the handle first, making sure everything lines up well then begin the tillering process....but again I've never made one.  ;)

My staves areprobably  perfectly good but most are tri-lams glued up and as I make 1:3 scale miniatures only 24" long cutting them isn't such an issue. I know it must sound odd making a 25" long bow a take down but I want to replicate a Victorian era "carriage" style longbow, with matching arrows, in a mahogany case. So the take down aspect is only part of it