Author Topic: what about knot's on the back?  (Read 3022 times)

nsherve

what about knot's on the back?
« on: October 25, 2016, 05:09:07 pm »
the stave i'm working on has 6 (or 7) knots on the back, with a couple of them near the edge. on the inside, theses knots are just about right on center. the stave is just over 2in wide, and approx 1.5in thick. how do i work the knots? i don't have a camera (wish i did)...so, i don't have pics to show.

also, the stave is osage, and the rings are pretty thin.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: what about knot's on the back?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:07:00 pm »
pics please
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

nsherve

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 06:58:41 pm »
i'll see if i can find something....maybe wife's phone...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:23:37 pm »
I like knots to be at least a 1/4" from the edge.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:59:45 pm »
I think PEARLS advice is good advice.  Dodge them if you can and keep them centered as much as possible. I will say however that if it is Osage, and if you are careful and a bit lucky, knots right on the edge can be still be made into a serviceable bow.  I dont recommend it, but sometimes you cant avoid them.  In the pics you can see the stave.  Knots all over it, so dodging them wouldn't work.  I layed the bow out and let the chips fly.  Some of them were open voids that were filled with CA glue.  I left those areas just a tiny bit flat.  Not even enough that you can see it in the full draw, but a bit flatter than normal.  It's pretty high draw weight as well.  All things are possible.  Some are just not advisable.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

nsherve

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:18 pm »
can't get the pics uploaded. our internet here is pretty bad...i may try it again tomorrow.

nsherve

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 12:44:40 pm »
do y'all file the knots down on the back, after getting down to the ring? or leave them sticking out?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 12:47:06 pm »
Leave them as natural as possible.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

nsherve

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 12:49:32 pm »
do you get the rings close to (right around) the knot all the way down to the one being chased?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 12:55:57 pm »
Yes sir. One continuous, clean ring, even around knots.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 08:23:04 am »
I usually island them out as I and chasing the ring, then go back when I get the rest of the stave in the ring I want and chase the ring right around and over the knot, the ring is usually much thinner sometimes much much thinner over the knot so go very slow, I do this with a scrapper and do it very carefully. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

nsherve

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 03:53:56 pm »
yea, i've been using a pocket knife to scrape around the knots and dips.

if there's a knot on the side, and i have enough room to get it out, how far in should i go? (does that q make sense?)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 08:02:13 pm »
Not completely no.  I would rather have a full knot along the edge and go wide around it, than try and squeeze one out of the limb if it means that when I follow the grain the limb narrows as it dips in.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

nsherve

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 08:24:40 am »
well, slim, too late for me on that. i took the knot out...it looks fine, i guess i'll see how it works when i get to that point. this is the first time i've tried mock orange...

nsherve

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 01:19:27 pm »
some of the nipples (of the knots) stick out .25- .5+in...it seems they can snag of something....should i leave as is, or cut them down closer? not all the way to the back itself, of course.... would that cause a problem?
 btw, some of those knots have several small nipples close together and it's taking me a while to get the ring all the way down...