Author Topic: Bast fiber backing.  (Read 1682 times)

Chris3kilo

Bast fiber backing.
« on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:16 pm »
I'm having real trouble debarking my hazel staves. I'm really nervous about violating the back grains.. too many bows has cracked on my tillering stick allready.
So while spending all this time on pulling and scraping long fibers off the stave I read a thread here about backing bows with hemp fibers, and I can't help to wonder how that's different from leaving the bast fibers on?  ??? Anyone do that?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Bast fiber backing.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 02:39:20 pm »
IMO the bast fibres have no merit in themselves other than stopping you messing up the back, which is still a pretty good reason for leaving them, or even the bark in place.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 02:43:26 pm »
adding a backing is different from utilizing the existing bark. In many cases the bark will crack because it is tension poor and that crack can run into the wood. There are many materials you can use for backing from heavy brown paper to silk, linen, rawhide and sinew. Hemp and raw flax work also but be aware of the tensile strength of the backing so you don't overpower the belly wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Chris3kilo

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:05:27 am »
I'm not talking about bark. Bast fibers. The long fibers under the bark.
I won't use all that energi on removing it then Del. :)
Especially since i don't care how the bow looks, only how it shoots.