Author Topic: favourite/most inspirational bow  (Read 4361 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
favourite/most inspirational bow
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:41:18 am »
Hi everyone

There are many, many, brilliant bows on PA, but my current favourite and most inspirational bow is Weylin's hollow-limb molly (http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55261.0.html). Keeps me humble and keeps me motivated.  That's mine, so, what's yours? ;D

Offline Badger

Re: favourite/most inspirational bow
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:18:50 am »
I agree that was a very impressive bow. After all these years Mark St Louis bows still impress me as much as they did when I was starting out. There are at least 10 bowyers here that impress me with nearly every bow they post.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:42:25 am »
Agreed; every time I log onto PA I find something that blows my mind and teaches me something new

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:43:17 am »
Anything Gordon lets us see.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:47:55 am »
Personally my most favorite bow was inspired by Marc way back long ago when he did a sinewed yellow birch in the PA magazine.Like said there are a good number of bowyers on here that have impressed me making works of art some in a simple looking way but portraying the beauty of the wood and the design it's in very well.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dane lund

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 12:03:21 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,58266.0.html
Mine would be Carson Brown.  They say variety is the spice of life...... then this guy is SPICY!
Always something different, hollow limbs, brush nocks, etc,etc.
That double hollow limb from a while back was amazing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:11:28 pm by dane lund »
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:10:53 pm »
That's a mighty fine looking bow weylin made. What is a hollow limb....I thought it was like a fluted limb like Carson made now too long ago.

I think my favorite bow would have to be WizardGoat's 5 curve yew. Everything about that bow was inspiring. But it really is hard to choose one, there are so many bows on here that make me want to build one just like them. Cloudfeathers juniper bows were another two that stuck out......although one broke, it was still a work of art.

Eric
Eric

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 01:01:24 pm »
These are my two all-time favorites - Simon's elm flatbow and a tasty yew deflex static by Pearl Drums:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=44531.0

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43428.0.html

But there are SOOOO many good ones...

Offline FilipT

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:48 pm »
You probably don't know the guy, but there is a Belgian fellow on Paleo Planet forum who posts masterpieces of character bows. I am always surprised by their primitive, yet graceful look and they made me look for weird wood to use as for a character bow.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »
Im inspired by a lot of bows & bowers on here but some of my favorites in no paticular order are  Beadmans Hickory/horn bow & Brad Smiths BL/sinew bow & Half eyes short osage/sinew bow those are all bows I aspire to make .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 04:00:18 pm »
I have not seem him post in some time -- but a guy who went by Druid used to post some of the most amazing sapling / character bows.  He lived somewhere over seas, if memory serves.  Anybody know what ever became of him? 

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 04:48:42 pm »
Easy, a Cody wright bow
Been wanting to recreate this build but the right piece of wood hasn't come along.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35760.0.html
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline stonecarver

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:17:19 pm »
This bow not only did I find the bow inspirational, but it got me using crab apple for bow wood. Great bow and great bow wood!

Offline FilipT

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 06:53:16 am »
I have not seem him post in some time -- but a guy who went by Druid used to post some of the most amazing sapling / character bows.  He lived somewhere over seas, if memory serves.  Anybody know what ever became of him?

Serbian, has website called Staro Brdo. It seems he stopped doing because of personal reasons, family or something like that. I read occasionally Serbian forum where he also used to post, also he is gone from there.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 11:10:02 pm »
To me there are just too many fine bows that pop up on this site to choose just one, whether it's one of the old guys or someone with a first time bow. I always see something that is a little different or unique.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?