Author Topic: Kansas Osage  (Read 6262 times)

Offline Badger

Kansas Osage
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:54:29 am »
   Does anyone here use osage from Kansas. I know a group of guys who are going out on an osage collecting trip to Kansas. I know they have plenty of osage there but I have only seen one piece of it used in a bow. The early growth dominated and the wood wasn't very good. Anyone here with good direct knowledge of Kansas osage?

Offline JonW

Re: Kansas Osage
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 11:06:10 am »
Yes I do Steve. Have used many pieces of it. I can't testify to all of Kansas osage because all the pieces I have used came from the Wichita area. I would say it was mostly exceptional wood. It is so prevelant around Wichita they actually burn it for firewood!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 11:08:36 am »
Steve, I use mostly Kansas osage, mostly because I live in Kansas... :D
Not a thing wrong with it, I have found a variety of ring thickness, early wood too late wood ratio, color, etc. Every tree seems to be different, and obviously it's hard to tell ring thickness and ratio until it is cut down.  But I have found that it is best to look in a thick hardwood canopy for trees that grow straight.
 I have also used Osage from different states; Missouri, Indiana, Oklahoma.  I have not been able to tell any significant differences solely based on location.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 11:15:56 am »
  They were also looking for a couple of young strong guys too help with splitting and hopefully pay in wood if you guys happen to know anyone. Not sure what area they will be in. I would have loved to have gone with them but I no longer qualify as young and strong.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 11:24:27 am »
The stuff I got from sidewinder(danny) made great bows!would love to get some more but with stave price,shipping and a poor canadian dollar,i have to stick to local supplies!dang!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 11:28:28 am »
Lol, I wish I could take you up on that offer Steve, but my time is very limited.
I'm sure someone here would be more than happy to help you split it and load it up.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 11:38:10 am »
Lol, I wish I could take you up on that offer Steve, but my time is very limited.
I'm sure someone here would be more than happy to help you split it and load it up.

I won't be a part of this. Just helping them try to locate some help.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 12:21:05 pm »
It's hunting season right now but I would be available right after I fill my tag.Kansas City is around 4 hours from me.Do they know when they are going?From California too?I've got my own tools.Chain saw too.I'll help cut/split/and load it.Debarking is up to the new owner.I think the growing season is a tad longer there then farther up north by me.Old Gun Doc would know about Kansas osage I'd say.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »
   These guys are actually old friends of Tim Baker. I told him I would try and hook them up with some help if I could find anyone. I will get there phone numbers from Tim and find out where they are going and get back to you all. They have a place picked out allready.

Offline gifford

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 02:13:34 pm »
PM sent Badger.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 02:31:16 pm »
When we go to Colorado for elk hunting I just look at all that Osage growing along Hwy 70. Since it takes 24 hours to drive across Kansas it is a looonng suffering drive looking at that Osage begging to be cut and made into bows......

I envy those with all that King wood!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 04:05:26 pm »
Osage is osage, trees don't know borders or states lol
I like osage

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 04:44:46 pm »
Osage is osage, trees don't know borders or states lol

I have fallen in love with the stuff from Ill and Michigan and ohio.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 10:58:53 pm »
I think the biggest challenge with Kansas Osage is finding straight trees with little or no wind shake.There is thousands of miles of Osage hedgerows but it can be tough finding anything that is not laced with small branches(pins) that are not visible until you try to split them, of that don't twist like a barber pole for the constant wind. Trees growing in open pasture growing resemble giant mangled bushes.
If you can find them growing in a sheltered creek bottom, or where they are growing in a woodlot that offers them some protection,you will have a better chance of finding something reasonably straight grained.
As far as quality, I haven't ran into to many that would not have been good bow wood if you can find you could find the workable ones.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 11:14:19 pm »
nclonghunter-- 24 hours to drive across Kansas, that's about right, but osage all the way? I don't recall seeing too many trees west of Manhatten, but I may have been in a trance by then.

Any straight piece of osage should be a good candidate for a bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.