Author Topic: Deep question  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Deep question
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 06:21:33 am »
  I like to think if a bow could have been reasonably made pre machine age it is primitive.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 09:49:36 am »
I agree with Pappy.
The tool one uses does affect design.
For example, a truly flat bellied bow is a product of the machine age..
Hand tools of any material will usually produce a slightly rounded belly because that's how they are the most effective.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 11:04:39 am »
I've only made a "true" primitive arrow with stone tools and methods. Haven't attempted a bow...yet. I do make modern, primitive bows with simple modern tools and simple design but that's about as primitive as I have gotten. It may even be impossible for modern man to build a primitive bow because we know too much, our universe and knowledge base is too vast to think primitive.

...now, that ought to get the popcorn out.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 11:29:18 am »
I have no problem whatsoever with the question.  However, I think the question should not be asked of others, but of yourself. And then it should be answered with your hands, not your mouth. 

Start by putting power tools in a closet.  Finish and shoot the bow.

Put away modern hand tools and make or purchase pre-industrial age type tools (with appropriate quality metals, etc). Finish and shoot the bow.

Put away medieval era forged metals and replace with primitive in-the-ground forged bronze tools, along with bone and stone. You know the this part, make and shoot.

Lastly, put those away and go find some rocks. Rinse and repeat.

I got as far as buying a pre-industrial age spokeshave and trying to tune it.  Never even finished the bow.  In fact, I went in the house and turned the modern A/C down, grabbed a cold one from the modern fridge, turned on some livestream music from my online computer, and nursed my badly bruised ego.  So, yeah, I understand your question.  Heck, if you go back to my profile and look up my earliest posts, I will bet you dollars to donuts that I STARTED A THREAD AND THREW OUT THE EXACT SAME QUESTION.  In fact, I think it is an unwritten rule that you have to go through that stage.  But the one thing I have seen time after time in here, is that the person asking the question never really takes anyone elses answer until they find their own answer.  The ones that keep the debate alive (and seem to get worked up, or worse yet work everyone else up to a fine lather) are, without exception, those that never post their work or their experience.  They are folks with long spoons and no real sense of purpose, but to stir the pot and create discord. 

So get out there and find your own truth to this age old question.  And as always, post your experiences complete with pics.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 12:32:44 pm »
JW, was spokeshave metal too soft and rough, i.e. not correctly heat treated and its edge not defined correctly?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 07:05:44 pm »
JW, was spokeshave metal too soft and rough, i.e. not correctly heat treated and its edge not defined correctly?

It was one of those where the blade had two ears that you tapped deeper or shallower through through wooden body....

Offline Emmet

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 07:47:25 pm »
A 2017 compound bow can be considered a primitive weapon to some. I just think of it as old school no mater the time period. As you go back in time things get more interesting. To toss the modern tools aside and built a bow as it was done a couple thousand years ago would be very primitive.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 10:12:24 pm »
  I live in the Kansas City area. I'm thinking a precontact bow. Even though until trade routes were set up native people didn't
have the steel tools. Knives , axes , unless they got them in a raid. Time period before 1670. The French were in the area around 1680.

Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 10:27:16 pm »
  I live in the Kansas City area. I'm thinking a precontact bow. Even though until trade routes were set up native people didn't
have the steel tools. Knives , axes , unless they got them in a raid. Time period before 1670. The French were in the area around 1680.

Dog

I would be willing to bet there were wrought iron hatchets/tomahawks with welded steel bits in the trade pipeline in the KC area by then.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 10:40:02 pm »
Do a search for Jaime Leffler on this site. Jaime cut down a tree with a stone axe head I sent him, split it with antler wedges and used all stone tools to shape and tiller it. Even force dried and heat treated it over a fire. There is an article in one of the older PA magazines and also one about his son and daughter making their own bow with the same tools.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 01:04:50 am »
I moved jamie's bow post up on it's own
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:10:15 am by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 04:06:24 am »
I too am not keen on the word 'primitive'.
As humans we are always looking for the most efficient, easiest way to do a particular job. It is a shame really because that is why we are in the position we are now....I know when i'd have rather lived. 
To use stone tools requires a change of mindset, once you manage that then it is no different to using modern tools. You are still using a tool directed by your thoughts to make something.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 02:31:37 pm »
you would have to go back in time ,, in a time machine,, make the bow there,, for it to be primitive,, :) right???

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »
  In the F&I circle we called that experimental archeology. Mindset would be a key. The 20 years I portrayed a warrior/elder
from my great grandmothers tribe. I had to work hard to get modern language as well as time concept out. I ate from a gourd
bowl with a clam shell. This bow thing is a quest for me. Just wanted you alls thoughts.

Spotted Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline GB

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 09:30:56 pm »
I could only respect a truly primitive approach.  No tools.  Gnaw the tree down and chew in the tiller.  If you post pics, please wear a loincloth, or preferably a full hide from a critter ya killed with yer bare hands. >:D
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.