Author Topic: Kids  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Kids
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:13:06 pm »
Had to laugh at my 7 year old son he wanted to go bow hunting so we headed out to the fence row sat there for awhile seen 3 does he said we should have brought the rifle they wouldn't come in close enough I told him it's bow only right now after about 2 hours he looks at me & said lets go this is taking to long.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Kids
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 05:42:07 pm »
yup, some people got it some people don't. my youngest son has hunted with me for along time. he could sit there all day from an hour before dark to walking home in the dark. He loves watching people hunt but he never seemed to want to do the shooting himself. he's 18 this year and I've seen a lot of changes in him. he's had a full time job all summer, took pigs to the fair, is going to community college an hour drive both ways 2 days a week and most of the time still getting our 4 acres of lawn mowed. I told him I'm very proud of him, he might grow into a man before his momma yet. He got his Hunters Savety course and his licsense this year.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:12:11 pm »
It's funny how some kids take to hunting and some don't.  My son has went a few times and hasn't taken it very serious.  My daughter has the hunter instincts.  She sits perfectly still and stays focused the entire time.  She got her first one last year and is hoping to get a buck this season. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 06:53:16 pm »
It's really great when they sit like that Osage. I'm thinking I might just sit with mine doing the shooting and me doing the watching opening day gun this year. Unless he doesn't want me to, but I'm betting he will.
Rob maybe you could try still hunting with yours. In al honesty I wasn't a great sitter when I was young just had to see what was behind that next tree or hill.
Bjrogg

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:06:17 pm »
Humm
I thought that's why they make buck lure and cracked corn. >:D
When I hunted in an old abandoned apple orchard in the mountain
you could count on a deer to be under the tree at exactly 4:20 pm.I'd get there at 3:20 >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:09:14 pm »
Wayne loves to hunt he just can't pull enough weight to hunt deer so I told him as soon as squirrel season comes in then he can start shooting. My daughter Lucy will start pheasant hunting Mon. she loves chasing the dog around.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:20:52 pm »
Just enjoy whatever time you get with them especially outdoors time.
Bjrogg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »
My Son I think goes with me to just be with Dad, my grandson goes when my Son does because that's his favorite Uncle even though he likes going out at night and catching hogs alive.We do try to get together every year and at least spend a weekend squirrel hunting and have a good time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 10:38:37 pm »
HeHeHe! Sounds like a certain grandkid I know.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 09:50:56 am »
My son just turned 32, enjoy your time because it slips by real fast. We still Turkey hunt but he gave up deer hunting for Duck and Goose hunting.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 11:12:10 am »
I count myself very very fortunate.  Jake just turned 11.  He's been hunting with me since he was 4.  That's really young and he couldn't sit still for more than 5 minutes, but he would usually doze off after a while anyway.  I would wake him up when the deer were spotted and he was always thrilled to watch them.  He shot his first deer last season.  Perfect shot with a .243 at 75 yards or so.  I grew up dreaming of getting out into the woods.  I could never get enough.  Hunting, fishing, trapping, it was all I thought about, until girls entered the picture, but even then, they could go with me or not.  I was gonna hunt.  Jake loves the outdoors.  Maybe not to the same crazy extent that I did as a kid, but close enough.  My life has been blessed by god in so many ways, and having him as my hunting partner sits near the top of that list.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:23:34 am by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 11:15:15 am »
You guys that have kids that are interested in hunting, shooting and the out doors are blessed.
I envy you...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 01:12:24 pm »
I agree, Paul. You guys are fortunately. I won't even have grand kids to enjoy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 06:44:36 am »
Great stories, love them. Beau started bow hunting with me at 10, I made him be able to put 4 out of 5 arrows in a pie plate at 15 yards before I would let him really hunt with a bow. I know that sounds hard but it worked, he really practiced hard that summer to be able to do that and took his first deer with a bow that year. Life gets in the way for him a lot now a lot at 31 years a wife and job but we still get in several hunts each year and I very much enjoy time hunting with him, I think he does also just not sure as much as I do. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 07:49:11 am »
Pappy I'm sure he enjoys it as much or more than you. He might not realize how much he enjoys it now those are some really busy years at his age but your making memories that will last long after you've gone.
Bjrogg