Author Topic: Unscheduled camping trip.  (Read 3266 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Unscheduled camping trip.
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:45:53 am »
This last week my wife had one of her friends she went to college with come up and visit.  They had planned to go over to our favorite spot at Pomme De Terre Lake.
The plan was for me to take the camper over and set it up and hang out for a while. Then come home and work the week till Friday night then spend a couple of nights at the lake. 

On Tuesday morning that all changed.  I was running a trenching machine at work and decide to support my body weight with my left hand on the exhaust pipe while bending over to  look under the machine.  As you guessed it, that smarted  a bit.  So I've been on workman's comp all week with second degree burns to my left palm. 
As you might have guessed it, I got a free camping trip! Well sort-of. Had to make a couple of doctors appointments but I spent most of the week at the lake. 
The weather was exceptionally hot for September so we used a generator I borrowed from a friend.  It decided to crap out on Wednesday and I finally got me a nice one that is actually pretty darn quiet!
I done some cooking and some alone time fishing in one of my favorite spots from the bank.  I've been camping there ever since I was a little bit.  Didn't catch anything to really brag about. But I did catch probably 20 some little bass one crappie (which was a keeper but I through it back because I only had one)  and a fun catch of about a 4lb drum on my ultralight crappie rod. 
We watched the geese and the pelicans a lot.  This Tim of year they put on a pretty good show. 
Her is a few pictures,  as usual I didn't take as many as I should. 

Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Unscheduled camping trip.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:49:41 am »
Ouch!  Didn't your Momma tell you not to put your hands on hot things.
 Looks like a fun weekend even though it is too hot for September.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:50:23 am »
Sorry to hear bout the hand . . . bet that stung! But reward was a relaxing few days. Looks like nice camping spot.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 12:37:06 pm »
Gee wiz pat, some guys will do anything to get off work to go camping. That is a nice looking gen set, gonna hafta get me one, since someone broke mine ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:54:42 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 01:53:58 pm »
Thanks a bunch fellas!
Yeah it stung pretty good but by that evening it had let up considerably. 
It's an awesome camp site,  in fact the whole campground is nice.  Like I said,  I've been going there since I was little.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Loope

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 07:40:19 pm »
Ouch! I guess you will need to go buy a brand new aluminum and fiberglass compound scoped crossbow with an attached bipod and battery powered winch self-cocking mechanism in order to hunt this fall  ;)

That is sure a beautiful place to be for the week, I hope you heal quick Patrick.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 07:56:03 pm »
Looks like a nice place.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 09:17:13 pm »
That's making the best out of a bad situation.  Hope the hand heals up before deer season starts.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 09:44:43 pm »
Thanks a bunch guy's! I can shoot my bow the only problem I have is grabbing it after the release.  I might have to put some kind of strap around the bow so I don't drop it on release.  The camping spot is awesome,  I love it there!

Season started here on the 15th, but it's too dang hot for me to be out.  I normally don't go out till sometime in October. 

Patrick
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:48:20 pm by lebhuntfish »

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 09:46:43 pm »
Ouch! I guess you will need to go buy a brand new aluminum and fiberglass compound scoped crossbow with an attached bipod and battery powered winch self-cocking mechanism in order to hunt this fall  ;)

Ah nope!
I have a rifle for gun season. 
If need be I would learn to shoot left handed.

Patrick

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 10:45:05 pm »
Nice area and set up Pat.Does'nt hurt to sit still and let the world go by once in a while.The heel of your hand is still ok right?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 01:47:48 am »
Thanks Ed! Yeah the heal is just fine. It's mainly what I call the ball of my hand on my first 3 fingers.

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 03:15:29 pm »
Id call that a perfectly unplanned camping trip Pat-trick. Unfortunately it took 2nd degree burns to pull it off ;)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 07:45:06 pm »
Id call that a perfectly unplanned camping trip Pat-trick. Unfortunately it took 2nd degree burns to pull it off ;)

Now kidding buddy!

Patrick

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 08:36:17 pm »
Sounds like a great time of relaxation, hope that hand heals quickly; I am a lake fan most definitely. Bizarre to me is the pelicans though, I worked at rend lake in So IL for a couple years and I thought I was going crazy the first time I saw some out there