Author Topic: Leather satchel/messenger bag from 1 piece of full grain leather, no stitching  (Read 5880 times)

Offline marcelslot

Hi all

I have been thinking about making a leather satchel/messenger bag for some time. Wanted to try a design from one piece of thick, full grain leather, without stitching or metal hardware. In my experience the stitching and rivets are always weak spots. So, in the bag in the pictures you can see what was the result. The satchel came out fine I think, and actually is quite a multipurpose bag in my view. It even fits my laptop and some office stuff so besides for taking it ootdoors for hiking or in travel, I could even use it for going to work..

Finished it with 3 coats of carnauba cream. I'm actually very happy with how this turned out. After this bag I made another one, died dark brown and rotated the desing 90 degrees, so horizontal. Will post pictures of the second bag later.

The design is actually sort of an origami style leather puzzle .. it's very sturdy and I have the idea this bag will last forever.. It's actually not very difficult to make with minimum tooling. However, it does require quite some precision in cutting.

In case of any questions, drop me a line.

Let me know what you think?

Be well,
Marcel

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
Looks incredibly nice. I would acually use it to go to school 😉  nice!
~Isaia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Excellent work, Marcel. I love leather work also and try not to use metal hardware but I do saddle stitch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ruddy Darter

That is really nice, great design  8).

Ruddy.

Offline Wolf Watcher

Very nice and excellent quality of workman's ship.  Would really like to see your pattern as it would really make a wonderful Xmas gift for my family members.  Thanks for posting! Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline jeffhalfrack

X 2 on that pattern

Offline Aaron H

Top quality craftsmanship

Offline Zuma

Quite niffty ;)
I was wondering about the flap.
Does it have to be so big?
Is it that big for conforming the look (lines)
or the need to keep the satchel closed.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline marcelslot

Hi all

Thanks for the positive feedback. For the questions on the design or template: I don't have a template .. had it drawn on paper as a sketch in small format.
I did make a second version, but then horizontal. And dyed the leather brown this time. See the pictures attached.

I believe that maybe from the pictures you guys can figure out the design by yourself, it isn't very complicated. I will draw a basic shape of the leather and upload it without measurements. At least then the basic design will be clear.

@Zuma: the flap size.. it is big isn't it? No functional reason. Guess I was influenced by designs of classic 'messenger bags' which tend to have large flaps.. I think it suits the design.

Let me know what you think of the second bag on the additional pictures.

Be well,
Marcel

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
Ok, I want that second one 😍😁
~Isaia

Offline marcelslot

OK, here's a try for the design... it's a pdf file, hope this works. Otherwise I'll post a picture instead.

Have fun.

Ruddy Darter

They really do look great, it's a design that can be utilised for different shaped bags too. I suggest the big flap is a bonus for extra protection for a laptop etc.,  thanks for showing.  8)
(I got some thick hide laying around, might try for a sports satchel variant  :D)

Ruddy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:59:20 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline marcelslot

Thanks Ruddy. Indeed, basic principles and design can be used for different shapes/sorts/sizes.
Next up: Backpack. Already made a small 'fashionable' type for my daughter. Was a good excercise to get the right design for a backpack.
Next step: 2-3 x the size and I'll have a gooyd leather backpack for hiking.

Be well,
Marcel
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:52:57 pm by marcelslot »

Offline Zuma

The dyed leather would be my choice :)
Very rich looking, flap and all :laugh:
Well done.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Aaron H

That's too cool, thanks for the pdf too.