Author Topic: Last hunt  (Read 5103 times)

Stringman

Last hunt
« on: September 14, 2016, 11:27:57 am »

Last morning of our hunt, Tell, Cannon, and I took off and climbed up the same ridge he shot his bull on a week earlier. We soon realized  there were a couple jokers over the ridge from us bugling their heads off and making quite the fuss. Meanwhile we started climbing to hopefully get ahead of them.

We saw 3 forked horn muleys feeding about 120 yds ahead of us and when we would stop they would turn and stare. Off to our right, up the gut, we heard a chorus of coyotes yipping occasionally.

All the sudden I saw a cow elk a little over 100 yds in front and quietly stopped the group. As we stood there watching, a small 4by popped out of the brush and headed our way. He quickly closed the distance and was standing dead in front of us at 40 yds with saliva dripping from his open mouth. He still hadn't made a sound but was coming to investigate all the commotion between us and the brush stompers. Tell had whispered that we were caught in the open, but I refused to move opting to put small tension on the string and just see what happened.

After staring us down for several long seconds,the bull elk lurched forward and began to pass us on the left and up hill about 25 yards. I saw my opening, came to full draw and dropped the string as the strength in my legs quickly melted into the dirt. My arrow struck the tree behind him and he jumped 10 yds before my brother also let one fly through the weeds now blocking his perfect shot. His shot, deflected by the weeds, also slipped harmlessly past as the little 4 point erupted into what can only be described as slightly controlled chaos! His path led uphill for a short distance until he caught wind of the buglers over the hill from us. He doubled back and then headed straight downhill in some of the loudest, bone jarring, crashes I've ever heard from an animal his size. I honestly don't know how they do that without breaking their necks!

After regaining my composure and mitigating the frustration I obviously felt (and finding my arrow,) we moved on and up the hill. Stops were frequent since the hills there have a way of leaving you breathless. We continued to hear the coyotes off to the right and then suddenly a bear growled LOUDLY. We all three stood stock still with grins on our faces.

Yep, we had just missed our last good chance at bringing meat home. Yep, we had knuckleheads just over the lip raising holy heck cause they hadn't the faintest clue how or when to bugle. Yep, we had another 5by come down the hill and turn away, still not responding to any vocal calls even though rut should be in full swing. But it's not everyday you can stand on the side of a mountain and listen to coyotes and bears fighting over who gets the last bite with wolf tracks at your feet and Ravens circling your head.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:25:13 pm by Stringman »

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Last hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:37:28 am »
Great story Scott.  I wish it had a slightly better ending with your stone tipped arrow disappearing into the side of a big bull. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PNewton

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:27:26 pm »
What an exciting experience. Too bad about the miss. I'm sure you will remember this hunt for years.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:40:46 pm »
thats one heckuva last day. Congrat's is still in order, hit or miss.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 06:11:34 pm »
congrats on giving it your best,, B

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 06:54:17 pm »
Mere flesh wound, the tree will walk it off before it drops the last leaves of the year.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:20:15 pm »
Ain't Huntin elk a blast?  When you put yourself in position to have a shot at a bull you can consider it a good hunt!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »
Just like hunting 700# turkeys, still fun but frustrating at times. Sounds like a great hunt, Scott.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 08:04:06 pm »
The memories from this experience will stay with me for a long time. The disappointment from missing my only shot at an elk may well bring me back to the mountain.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 08:32:16 pm »
Man just gotta call it a successful hunt yet Scott so glad you got close enough to take a shot. I'm thinking you'll be back there again on a even more successful hunt.
PS. Did the stone point break on impact, or did it break pulling it out of tree?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 08:47:33 pm »
I believe it broke on impact. I was pretty careful about cutting it out of the tree but it may well have snapped when I started to wiggle it lose. Still I was pleased with the performance. I used my pocket knife and a piece of bark to reshape the tip and give it a field expedient point. It's ready to go again!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 08:52:52 pm »
Was only wondering because I've stuck them in 2x4 and they sink in good. I don't think it was broke till I wiggled it to get it out.
Bjrogg

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 08:57:47 pm »
Mr Scott, among your many talents is also story telling. Thanks for taking us along on the thrill!

p.s. - - - - Dave takes off on his adventure tomorrow afternoon.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 09:08:18 pm »
Thanks Mike. I have a few more to write, but not sure if I should drop em here or send em I tow magazine.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 09:20:31 pm »
I wouldn't mind reading them in the next edition of PA
Bjrogg