Author Topic: Heading for Texas  (Read 909 times)

Offline furdressing2

Heading for Texas
« on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:52 am »
My wife and I are heading for Texas to visit family. Can anyone give some advice on where and how to obtain some osage orange? I would like to harvest it myself (so I can say I took it from the ground to hunting, myself). If not then a good honest source once I'm there. We will be in Dallas Sept 22-24 visiting and then head to San Antonio 26-28 doing the tourist thing.   
  Any info would be much appreciated, thanks

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Heading for Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 03:31:45 pm »
If you or any of your relatives know any farmers in this part of the country, it might be easy to find plenty Osage Orange. In some places it is plentiful enough to be a problem. Whether you know the farmer or not, it would be a good idea to have something to "trade" or show appreciation. I have my eyes on a pretty tree about a mile from my house, and I plan to offer the lady some firewood in exchange and hope for the best. An arrowhead, a piece of basketry or just about anything you might make would be good. Good luck.

Edit: you do know how heavy that stuff is don't you?

WA

Offline furdressing2

Re: Heading for Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:57:46 pm »
Thanks Chippintuff for the info. I will see if our family knows anyone. Yup I have an idea on weight as one of the members on this site was very kind to send me a couple staves  as well as other tools. I very much appreciated his kindness. Good people here.