Author Topic: My Newest Ojibwa Scalloped Bow  (Read 16901 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
My Newest Ojibwa Scalloped Bow
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:13:22 pm »
This a Bow I built last year that is a replica of the Upper Michigan Ojibwa Style Bows....it is a Selfbow made of only Hickory....it is 58" long ....56" N.T.N....1 1/4" wide at the Handle...and 2" wide at the widest point of the Scallops....tapering to 3/4" Tips....the Top Tip is notched for the String and Pin nocked on top for the Horse Hair Tassel to be attached....It Draws 54 pounds at 26 inches...I made the Grip out of Whitetail Rawhide I made and stitched it on when it was still damp...so that it would shrink up tight ...The Opposite Draw Side is Scalloped with serrations burned into the whole edge from top to bottom....I spiffied it up a Bit with some Native Drawings also....even though Kokopeli is Anasazi He looks like He belongs on this Bow ....I just couldn't leave Him out.....seeing as Kokopeli roughly means Wooden Backed.....He really fits!! The String is Braided B50 with a Flemish Loop on one end and a Timber Hitch on the other for Adjusting the Brace Height ...just like the Originals... I added Mink Silencers too. The Bow is then sealed with a mix of Bear Grease and Beeswax for a good Water-resistant coating.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:45:28 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

Re: Ojibwa Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:15:34 pm »
and more Pic's

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:17:28 pm »
and still more

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:18:32 pm »
  SWEET!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 11:28:06 pm »
Nice bow. I like that quiver, too. I haven't tackled one of those scalloped bows yet. but there's one on the to-do list. Do the scallops give you fits tillering or does it tiller out pretty much like any other bow?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:32:48 pm »
Nice bow. I like that quiver, too. I haven't tackled one of those scalloped bows yet. but there's one on the to-do list. Do the scallops give you fits tillering or does it tiller out pretty much like any other bow?

Thanks Hillbilly.....I learned a lot off of this Bow....Scallops are not for the Fast and Furious Crowd....You just have to really take your time and Nail the Tiller....because the Scallops do make it susceptible to Hinges ...if you are not carefull....as for the Quiver....it was my first Try ....so I am happy with it.....so are the Arrows ....they are my first Selfnocks too
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 11:50:29 pm »
Very nice bow...what's the draw weight and length?
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 11:52:58 pm »
Very nice bow...what's the draw weight and length?
    Sean
Oops....forgot the Specs!!!!! My Bad   >:D  .....I added it to the Write-up.........
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 12:01:22 am »
Hellofabow, Yankee. - Lot's of attention to detail!! May I be so attentative one day :). That's one hell of an accomplishment - what else do ya have hidin in the corniers?? ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 12:07:43 am »
Hellofabow, Yankee. - Lot's of attention to detail!! May I be so attentative one day :). That's one hell of an accomplishment - what else do ya have hidin in the corniers?? ;D.

I cant reveal them all at once....I will never get a B.O.M. if I do!!!I have to stick them out there one at a time.....heck I have two Closets full now...the Wife is threating to cut me Off....if I dont start selling them or give them away!!!!

If I could build Bows ....like you can knap rocks....I would be soooo Happy!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 12:30:57 am »
That is an outstanding bow. Really well tillered and decorated. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 12:32:32 am »
That is an outstanding bow. Really well tillered and decorated. Jawge

Coming from You Jawge... I take this as a great Compliment...I have learned a lot from your Site over the years...so part of this Credit is Yours.....I thank you
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 01:08:34 am »
Now that right there,is the kinda stuff i like to see on the site.Great Job n congrats.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 01:17:51 am »
Thanks Traxx....I am glad that you like it....I believe in Simplicity in building a Selfbow....I don't go for all of the Glitz and Shine....I try to stay true to the Bows I build....Simple Designs and Simple Finishes....even though I have been told that they are too simple...or just plain Crap before...I will not change my way of building Native American Bows
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 02:27:17 am »
Well,the only crap,is whats commin outa their mouths.You just keep on a doin what yer doin,and ill keep on enjoyin,and admirein it.