Author Topic: Work bench  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

Work bench
« on: August 25, 2016, 02:52:15 am »
So when I moved into my new house (first time in my life having a garage) I went out and bought a HD already put together work bench. It's decent. But man does it love to wobble. Makes using a rasp or draw knife a complete pain. So I bout some anchor bolts and bolted it to the brick wall. Well within a week or so of everyday use it yanked all 3 bolts out. Put 80lbs worth of weights on the shelf, still slides across the floor. So what do you gents use to keep your bench from sliding all over?
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Work bench
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:24:29 am »
My experience has been that building your own bench or getting one that someone else has built is the way to go. Retail models don't have the mass necessary for our hobby.
This is mine . . . . . go here.http://woodgears.ca/workbench/plans.html
Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:33:50 am »
I made mine 4 x 8. The top is 3/4" MDF and the legs are 4 x4's. It doesn't move much at all, no anchors, just heavy. Plus, the bottom is a full 4 x 8 shelf full of sh**. That helps weigh it down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 08:01:48 am »
I'm not as tall/young (or good lookin') as Pearl, so mine is just 28" deep. But, otherwise, his sounds like mine ..... including the sh**.
Also, made mine 38" tall and my back is happy that I did.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:04:58 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:09:53 am »
You might try cutting triangles of plywood and use screws+glue to fasten them onto the corners. Other than that, you could get some angle iron brackets and fasten the legs to the floor.

WA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:10:36 am »
Good call, Mike. Mine is tall as well. I don't hunch over at all, not even a little. It makes for a comfy work session. I also have a rubber mat under my feet.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:37:08 am »
I made mine 4 x 8. The top is 3/4" MDF and the legs are 4 x4's. It doesn't move much at all, no anchors, just heavy. Plus, the bottom is a full 4 x 8 shelf full of sh**. That helps weigh it down.

It was moving when i was yanking on it

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:50:53 am »
I said it didn't move MUCH AT ALL. Get back to work knocker. Your crew needs your guidance :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 08:52:12 am »
I have posted this before; To have a non moving workbench you have to build one like a tank. Mine has 2X12 boards for the top, 4X4 side and middle posts, prefab drawer units from Lowe's and is built 42" tall so I don't have to bend over to work on bows. I probably have 200 lbs of "stuff" on the shelves and in the drawers to weigh it down as well.

I can still shake stuff off the wall from vibrations when I get serious about draw knifing but the bench doesn't move.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:12:11 am »
I have always been a big fan of a jointers bench. They weigh a tremendous amount. I'm in the process of building one that uses 2x6's stacked on end and laminated together, giving you a 5" thick(once plained) bench top. It's cheap to build and very sturdy. This allows me to have the bench in the middle of my shop and not against a wall. Do a search for 2x6 woodworking bench and there are all sort of how too's.

Just a suggestion.
Eric

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:31:30 am »
Paw-Paw's Bowshop . . . . . perfect!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 12:08:01 pm »
I was like everybody else so I built one so heavy I can't move it and it's free standing.

It's 4x7 and 32" at the table top with 4x3 redwood legs popular 2x4 frame with advantech 3/4" top with laminate flooring on top of that for a good surface then a peg board with frame built on back side for my tiller board  which is removable so I can use the complete table if needed.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 12:19:03 pm »
I do all my bow work on a 2'x3' work bench on 4 swivel casters. I move it around my garage and work shop depending on what I'm working on and the temperature outside.  I've gotten used to holding it in place when I'm ripping sapwood off of a stave. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 01:33:10 pm »
Wow great responses guys. When I got this workbench I was just doing knife making so it worked for that. But I gotta build a tank for bow making. And get something bigger than my 3in vice
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 03:04:16 pm »
I bought the heavy bamboo table that Harbor Freight sales. It doesn't move. I also have a large vice mounted to a post in the ground under my lemon tree.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?