Author Topic: Hickory backed Hickory----Question?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Don Wilson

Hickory backed Hickory----Question?
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:16:31 pm »
Tell us how you would build it......Lay-out, lenght, thickness, width, reflex, or R/D?????????? Would like it to be 50@28...........THX in advance...Don andSky

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed Hickory----Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 01:06:20 pm »
Don and Sky, If you are using a board and taking the backing directly from it, glue it up with the grain switched opposite to each other...if that makes since to you. ??? I would make the bow 64" to 66", 2" wide(maybe 1 3/4") at the fades and out a bit then a taper to 3/8" tips. I would glue it up with Perry reflex and maybe with the tips kicked up a bit more. You can easily make a 50#@28" self bow with these dimensions so with a backed bow you should be able to go a bit narrower and still hit your mark and probably come out heavier. 
   As you both already know, one of the most important things to remember with hickory...DRY!!!  Dan Perry makes some of his flight bows with hickory backed hickory. The advantage he gets from using hickory is he builds them in a dry climate and shoots them for distance in a dry climate.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Don Wilson

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:31:12 pm »
Hey Pat, we're gonna get started on your staves next week-end......we're headed up to Pappy's.......We'll keep you posted.......Pat don't you think we should get it to floor tiller before glue-up????????   Also give us your thoughts on Hickory and DRY......3" of reflex OK???????     THX Don and Skyler

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:43:46 pm »
Don and Sky, 3" of reflex is plenty. You should net 1" of reflex or slightly less out of that. Much more reflex at glue-up and you can over stress the components and end up with less.  By dry I mean 6%. Most other woods can't take that low of M/C but that is where hickory likes to be.
  Yes, pre-tiller both the backing and belly so you get a nice even bend when you reflex at glue up. If you don't all of the reflex will be near the handle and the limbs will be straight.
   Looking forward to seeing both of you at Pappy's (the Classic) and seeing Sky's osage bow if you still have it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Don Wilson

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 05:50:17 pm »
Pat, we're gonna talk to Pappy about them building the OSAGE bow at the Classic and use it to compete in the Self-bow Challenge......Then put it on the St. Judes Auction...........This hickory bow is something we're playing with, never done a laminated bow........tHX
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 05:54:42 pm by Don Wilson »

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 05:54:12 pm »
 8)     Pat

Offline Dan Perry

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:03:17 am »
Hi Don,

I haven't checked in for a few months, and I saw this when I did.

What kind of bow do you like to shoot? 

I like longbows, so the great majority of my bows are long, pretty norrow with no Deflex.  The problem is you have to use a low brace height.  About 6 inches from the back of the bow.  I don't mind it, but it bothers some people. Deflexing at the handle a little before reflexing nets you a higher brace height, makes it a little more stable, and is a little easier on the wrist.

Pat was giving you the true scoop.

Dan

Bishop

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 02:35:42 pm »
Don, whats this about a St. Judes auction?, can we donate our bows from the classic to a charity auction?....if i can help out St. Judes in any way im all for it.
Bishop