Author Topic: I REALLY hate poison ivy...  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

I REALLY hate poison ivy...
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:42:06 am »
Apparently I had the bright idea to go tracking through the woods the other day in shorts and a tank top  (it's hot down here in Florida don't judge) well while I was hacking away at the insane about of vines trying to kill my trees apparently I got into some poison ivy. Right in the crease oppisite my elbow. Been walking around the house smelling like vinegar for 2 days.
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline loon

Re: I REALLY hate poison ivy...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 01:30:05 am »
Accursed weed... sucks

Manchineel sounds even worse though. And it grows in Florida. ... don't die

Wonder if it makes bows :\

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 01:33:23 am »
Definitely not worth the chance lol I'll stick to my hackberry

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 01:36:34 am »
At least it's endangered..

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 01:37:47 am »
Do you have indian jewel weed down there?

It can be used to prevent and treat poison ivy rashes. Up here it tends to grow in close proximity to the ivy.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:11:23 am »
Unfortunately I don't think we do but man would that be nice

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:36 am »
 I can look at it and get the shivers...Had my eyes swelled shut twice as a youngster and now I am a pro at spotting it...Cut into a vine in the dead of the winter with and old climbing model stand and it busted my face open near my cheek :(...It drained for days and finally healed.
                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:54:17 am »
Wow that really sucks man. Apparently scrubbing with dawn dish soap within a few hours helps alot

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:17:36 am »
Yep, it and poison oak are nasty. It is all over my place so I have to be careful as I am pretty sensitive to the dang stuff.  >:(

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 12:02:32 pm »
I hate it too. It loves me I get it from the dust or dirt it grows in too. you don't want to breath the smoke when it burns get it in your lungs. the only product I've found that works good is Zanfel. Homemade lye soap helped some if I lather up and let it dry on for awhile. If I even think I may have had contact I wash really good with soap as soon as I can.
bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 02:55:48 pm »
If you know you just got in to PI wash the area with Dawn dish soap and warm water. What you are doing is removing the oils that cause the contact dermatitis. A product called Tech-Nu has a wash for after or a shield if you are planning to get into PI.
 We have Jewel weed here too. It is a native Impatient so maybe the commercial impatients would have the same properties.
 The best thing to do is learn to ID PI so you don't get covered in it. It grows in a couple of different forms from a low growing ground plant to a large vine with branches that stick straight out from the vine. Around here I've seen PI vines that are 4"+ in diameter.
 An old adage  about PI is..."leaves of 3, let it be!"
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 03:16:35 pm »
As a kid I had no reaction to it at all.  None.  My friends and I would go somewhere and I would be the only one not to come home with it.  Laugh...I thought that was just too funny...until I got it around 40 years of age.  Had no idea what it was but I knew it wasn't PI.  It was, and it was all over me.  I guess something changed in me.  But I can walk past it now and get it.  I have used Tech Nu that Pat mentioned and it works ok.  No jewel weed around here, but, someone told me to rub Elk Thistle on the soars.  We dont have that either, but I gathered up our local thistle and rubbed the sap from it on the blisters.  It helped with the itching a bit and I have used it since. Placebo maybe but if it works it works.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 02:47:32 am »
Honestly what I have found that relieves my itching is scrub it with dawn and a rag, Pat dry, spray a vinegar salt solution and while it's wet sprinkle baby powder on. Idk exactly what the baby powder does but man does it help!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 07:50:38 am »
Caladryl(sp) or Calamine(sp) lotion works to eliminate the itching. Once the dermatitis erupts if you use something to dry it out will help keep it from itching other than that you just have to wait for it to heal. Folks around here wipe it with Clorox. For bad cases you can get a cortisone shot to help control the itch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC