Author Topic: 2nd Osage selfbow,need help...  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Bowjo

2nd Osage selfbow,need help...
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:25:36 pm »
I am working on my 2nd osage selfbow.I will get a pic up here soon.This bow is around 68 to 70" long.It is pulling about 66 to 70# at 28.The lower limb of this bow is a little bit stiffer than the upper.I didn't correct it any more because there are knots in this area causing it.Do you guys think it will be all right like this?The bow has been shooting real good....Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bowjo

Re: 2nd Osage selfbow,need help...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:31:12 pm »
another pic

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:33:29 pm »
another

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:08:40 pm »
That actually looks pretty darn good! The left limb does look a little stiffer to me but the right limb looks like it's trying to get a little whippy. If theirs knots where you need to scrape - I found out the hard way that course sand paper will change a tiller real quick. But hey, if it's shootin real good you might be just as happy the way it is.
 The big guns will step in here and tell ya what to do, I still gotta lot to learn :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 12:45:17 am »
You could pike the weaker limb to stiffen it or pike the stiffer limb and re-tiller it to match the other. You have plenty of length to work with.  The lower limb should be a bit stiffer than the upper.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:25:15 am »

do i see that right that the limb on the right bends to much near the tips and not enough at the fades?
Frank from Germany...

Dustybaer

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:00:19 am »
here's what i see (but take it with a grain of salt, since, with only seven bows under my belt, i'm a beginner myself):

left limb bends almost exclusively near the fade.  did she take set there?  i would get the center and outer third to bend more. 
right limb: i see a bend at the end of the first quarter and one at the beginning of the outer third, with stiff parts in between.

take a straight piece of wood, about 4" to 6" long and run it along the belly of the drawn bow.  watch the gap between the piece of wood and the belly and you'll know exactly where the stiff spots are.  at least that's how i do it.

DCM

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:49:07 am »

The left limb does bend a little generously just off of the fade, marked with red, but is by far the better limb.  The right is stiff throughout and bends very abruptly on the outer 3rd.

You could probably take 2" off each limb and begin again, but probably the better option is to start another bow.  And I also agree with the comment above that where the limbs take set is a very important indication of how to adjust the tiller.  Specifically, try to avoid areas of concentrated set by weakening the surrounding wood.

I would not get too hung up on having the lower limb be "stiffer," particularly in how it looks on the tree until you get up to say 3" less than final draw lenght.  Then you can put in the tiller you need, by doing some test shooting at short draw.  Rather, strive for balance between the two limbs and not overworking any portion of either limb.  Don't fret over the knots, it's better to get good tiller and risk failure (which is not common) than to sacrifice the whole bow to compensate.

Hope this helps. Tillering is a skill that takes time and patience and concentration and lots of practice to learn and perfect.

Very nicely done for a 2nd effort.  Fire up another, or two or three.

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 01:05:40 pm »
I am going to make some more bows,I just don't have the wood and time right now.I was hoping to make this bow work.Is taking 2" off each limb and re-tillering my better option now?I would really like to make this bow work.Please keep the suggestions coming.If I continue to shoot this bow will it break?..Thanks everyone !!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 01:18:32 pm »
If you do take 2" off each and re-tiller, mark with an "X" any area that is almost a hinge(bending more than other places) and leave them( it) alone until you get the rest of that limb and the other limb bending evenly together. This will be the area that has been most stressed so far and therefore more likely to be a weak area later.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 06:00:08 pm »
Bowjo, I'd make a nice dark pencil mark where I want the bending to start on both limbs. I don't know where the end of the fades is on that left limb but I bet the bending is starting way after that. Work wit a scraper. I've spent hours in that area making sure the bending starts where i want it to which is almost always at the end of the fades. Other than that the left limb looks pretty good. The  right limb needs some work. Same thing get the bend starting at the end of the fades. spend some time there with a scraper. On that limb about 9 inches from the end there is a hinge beginning. Do not touch that area. Get that near handle wood moving and then you can scrape down to before that hingey area. Then take another pic and show us. Don't forget to gently exercise that stave at partial pulls. I mean partial pulls. To let the wood removal register. The nice thing is you can leave the stave strung while you do this.  Hope this helps. Keep asking questions. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:50:21 pm »
Thanks George!!!I t may be awhile,but I will get back with you guys when I work on it again..........Joe

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 05:55:55 pm »
I worked on this bow a little more.I've got both limbs bending pretty even to the last 10"s.At that point I have to much bend in my top limb.I am thinking about cutting a couple inches off.I am not very good at taking pics,but got a few.

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 06:00:08 pm »