Author Topic: Heavy Weight Bows  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Lumberman

Re: Heavy Weight Bows
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 09:49:13 pm »
What weight do you need to to feel comfortable punching through a shoulder? I know there are a lot of variables there

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 11:58:25 pm »
I don't feel comfortable punching through a shoulder. I certainly wouldn't be trying to hit it. Solid objects can do crazy things to an arrows path. Everyone has banked one of the top of a foam target straight up and 60 yds into the brush. A shoulder could easily do the same and kick your arrow forward into the neck, no good. Ribs are much less likely to cause an issue.

A 35-40 lb bow could get an arrow through the wide flat part of a wet/living shoulder blade I'm sure, but it probably wouldn't exit the other side. There in lies the problem. Unless the deer drops quickly or you're in some fairly open woods and can visibly track it as it runs off, chances of recovery drop off pretty quickly. You will get virtually no blood from a single shoulder entry wound that's plugged with an arrow shaft. If you're in the mts. or thick back country the yotes will probably find it before you do.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 06:45:28 am »
Great thread! I've been doing CrossFit since January and can draw a much heavier bow now than I could before I started. That said, I still plan on hunting with a 40-45 pound draw bow. I want something that's super easy to shoot so I can take clean shots from all sorts of odd positions, not so much because I want to do this but because it ends up happening and I know I need to be ready for it. My understanding is that most American Indians hunted with bows that drew 45 pounds or less, even for large game like bison. Shot placement is critical, but then it's always critical and I can be far more accurate when the bow I'm shooting is easy to draw than when it's challenging.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 07:05:11 am »
I agree completely, I have been burned by the shoulder blade more than once but have also been able to punch through the last 6" or so towards the ribs; good rundown, I was wondering if you were just blasting through with a 100# or something. Anyone have complete passthroughs with a bow they made? Mine I made for hunting this year is on the mid forties and though it is fast, I just dont think it'll give me am exit hole

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 09:31:52 pm »
It's all dependent on each individual's power and strength. I prefer them heavy and they're not hard for me to shoot. I've been a dedicated gym-goer and power lifter for almost 15 years. I've got a little collection of 75-85 pounders and I'd be happy to grab any of them off the shelf for an all day shooting extravaganza. I hunt with all of them. I can shoot them from any position and hold them at full draw without struggle.

There is a limit for me. I've got a 105# tri lam that I can shoot confidently accurate, but it fatigues me.

Shot a dozen or so arrows out of a 120# war bow at Mojam a couple years ago and the owner of the fine weapon had to show me the technique. It's around that weight that I've gotta start utilizing my whole body for the shot.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:35:06 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 12:25:20 am »
Even if you don't get a pass through with a rib shot, there's a better chance the arrow will get pulled out of the hole than if it's stuck in the bone and meat of the shoulder. Either the deer will pull it with it's mouth, or better yet  get snapped off an the remaining piece will do some serious damage inside the soft body cavity from all the movement as the deer runs off. Both should provide better blood.
 I've never taken a deer with a selfbow. Prior to my enlightenment in the traditional ways, all of my wheelie bow victims died from pass through shots in the rib cage. It was hard to tell if they were even slowed down by it, and still made it another foot into the dirt on the other side.  The force that remained in the arrows even after hitting two sets of ribs leads me to believe my selfbow would do the same, within a much shorter effective range of course. I get almost the same penetration into my foam targets from either bow at close range, almost.     

Now I'm wondering if there's any benefit to punching through all the nodes on the inside of a boo hunting shaft. A completely hollow tube stuck in the wound would bleed more than a solid one I would think, at least in theory. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Newindian

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 12:46:34 am »
If 50 lbs doesn't kill it cleanly adding 20 or 30 pounds probably won't either, accuracy over weight.
I like free stuff.