Author Topic: Heavy Weight Bows  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Heavy Weight Bows
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:49:09 pm »
I have posted this question elsewhere, but I am putting it here to get some input that I might not get there.

How practical is a heavy weight bow? I know the term is relative, but I did not consider hunting with a bow that was over 55# when I was young and strong. Can a hunter keep good accuracy with those bows that are over 85# and especially those over 125#? What shooting techniques have to be changed to get effective use from them (eg. quick release, pull with all four fingers)? Is using such a bow a matter of trade offs?

WA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heavy Weight Bows
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:54:11 pm »
Heavy bows usually give a better release but if you struggle to draw it when crunch time comes it really doesn't matter. I'd rather have a bow with draw weight that is comfortable to draw, especially in cold weather or when a deer walks up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:00:22 pm »
If one shoots 190lb like Joe Gibbs, or even 120lbs, maybe one could hunt with 80lb comfortably enough? Isn't 40lb good enough for deer? I think accuracy matters more than being able to blow through bone.. though they're always jumpy bastards. shoulder blade, spinal column... what parts of a deer would be fatal with an 80lb bow that wouldn't be with a 50lb bow? Would arrow flight tend to be better?

Joe Gibbs uses 3 fingers afaik. Have to use that warbow technique, stepping in the bow, pretty high bow arm? although for 80lbs I'm sure a shorter draw and holding for a few seconds is doable if you can shoot way heavier. turks did it with over 100lbs..

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:05:16 pm »
relative is the key word,, some guys shoot 80 as easy as I shoot 50,,
as the bow gets heavier it is not as efficient,,
if a heavy bow is in the comfort range of accurate shooting,, it would have advantages in cast and penetration,,
I think the answer to your question would depend on the archer,,
I have read where the long distance shooting is sometimes limited to having an archer that can pull the heavier bows,,
i think the reason we see so few heavy bows being shot in day to day hunting or target,, is they are not practical for most,, :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 02:21:53 pm »
I will add something to that worth consideration.  I'm an oldish fart now.  In my mind I'm still in my prime, physically at 56, I cant do some things I could 20 years ago.  I shot an 80+ pound bow for years without a bobble, until I popped something in my shoulder the evening before opening day some years back.   I stayed and hunted but I couldn't draw my bow.  Most of mine are now mid 40's to mid 50's with only a few over 60.  I shoot the 45's about as well as any of them and I can shoot all day at that weight.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »
I agree with all the well seasoned archers like my self ,used to be able to pull 75 lbs all day but my hunting bows are all in the mid 50s now but at the end of a good shooting day they feel like 80 lbs to me my ultimate bow building goal is to make a 45 lb hunting bow that would shoot a 500 grain arrow at 170fps  I know after being out in the cold for hours my strength & agility shrink so the lighter the bow that will get the job done the better.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 03:56:08 pm »
I think beyoind 80 pounds it requires way too much movement to hunt well. Ever watch a war bow get drawn and shot? Lots of motion involved from head to toe. Try that in a tree stand or a ground blind :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 09:41:13 pm »
Depends on the individual I do all of my hunting with an 80lb bow. Started with a 60 got an 80 just to strengthen the muscles and ended up shooting it enough that now it's my regular. With no extra movement it really depends on how honest you are with yourself a lot of people over bow themselves at first.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 09:41:30 pm »
Back when I first started making bows, my very first was 78#. Mostly because I was too scared to take more wood off. Anyway shot it a few times every day. When hunting season came around I was comfortable, and had no problem shooting it. That being said, Pat is right about being comfortable. It drastically effects your accuracy, I couldn't shoot that weight today and be accurate. And like Pearl said, lots of other factors involved with that much weight.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 12:00:34 am »
Thanks everybody. This is about as I expected except that the comfortable weights are higher than I expected. At my age, I would probably be better off to go for 40-45# at 26".

I really like the looks of the deflexed/reflexed short bows, but since I have yet to make my first one, who knows what the first one will look like?

I have found a pretty osage tree that I might be able to negotiate for. I'm hoping to cut some firewood for the lady in exchange for the tree or a limb of it. We'll see. The tree is a group of trunks branching off from the ground at various angles. The one that looks the finest to me is at least 8" in diameter, has a crown in the middle (meaning that as it goes out from the stump the angle of incline slowly gets less) and it is clean of limbs.

WA

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 01:57:28 am »
I can draw upwards of 75# and it sure does pack a wallop to the target.

There is a catch though. I have to be standing in a comfortable shooting position to draw that weight. My hunting bow weight is one I can draw seated, straight back, on my knees, and in some other very uncomfortable positions. I make sure to practice shooting from unnatural positions and it pays off from time to time. I also want to be able to hold at full draw for at least a full minute. Not really good for the self bow, but if the buck was my once in a life time bruiser,  I'll make another bow.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 12:54:01 pm »
I think the real answer is to make a 45 -50# bow and simply write 105# on it  >:D
After all it seems to work for accountants, bankers, salesmen, politicians etc ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 03:04:40 pm »
I just finished a 140# bow ;D ;D ;D I'll post it as soon as I find my pen ;D ;D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 03:19:07 pm »
I realy like what Dakoto Kid said about the all position shooting I do that same kind of training on plastic critters setting down on my knees and what ever other position I can get in because when you do that bow weight becomes exponentially harder to pull and be accurate at 52 lb I can kill most of the plastic critters no problem but when I shoot a 58 lb bow I'm all over the map so I guess there's a certain weight I can handle I have tried to train with heavier bows but never get much stronger could be my age getting older  but a 150 fps 500 grain arrow will kill most things on this continent  & most 50 lb bows will best that.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 07:56:43 pm »
I like my bows heavier than lighter. Once you work yourself into them, it's quite nice to hunt with knowing you can blow through a shoulder and ribs no sweat lol
Clatskanie, Oregon