Author Topic: What to do  (Read 3037 times)

Offline dylanholderman

What to do
« on: August 12, 2016, 02:35:17 pm »
I couldn't resist cutting this honeysuckle today but now I can't make up my mind about what to do with it ???
Gul wing or deflex maybe cook some reflex into the limbs after I get them shaped?
As it sits it is 53" long and has 7" of deflex/setback and needs alinement correction on one of the limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What to do
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:45:28 pm »
It will be very difficult to achieve balance/stability with that much set back. Also, I would be concerned about that small diameter holding up at the "v", especially with that branch coming off it. Gripping/holding it would be another issue. Unless you're feeling very adventurous, Id look for a better specimen. But that's just my opinion. Your half my age and full of P & V I'm sure!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:01:26 pm »
Just curious do you know which side is compression? Pearl has way more experience than me and better advice I'm sure. If compression side was right I'd see Reflex Deflex maybe glue triangle block on back of handle wrap it good  end up something like Marc's.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 03:11:00 pm »
The little branch out of the handle may be the deal breaker. I would flatten out the reflex in the limbs some and go for a 5 curve. That's just my opinion though.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:18:28 pm »
Im with Jon. Deflex the limbs out of the handle and flip the tips a bit for a 5 curve.
Hard to see what's up with that branch though

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »
If u are dead set on using it use it turned with deflex out of the handle and reflex the tips
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 08:09:04 pm »
I ended up taking the advice to remove some reflex. I was also able to clamp the crooked limb so hopefully it won't be a problem later :-X

Now how long do I leave it like this ???

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 08:17:15 pm »
Building bows is not a hobby that you would expect to be an accomplish bowyer by starting out on your first bow building a complex design and hoping the out come to be good even with a lot of experienced help. 
Please ..... start out simple and get a few bows under your belt before starting something complex.
Just one mans opinion................
DBar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:49:30 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 09:19:13 pm »
I'd deflex the outer limbs and try to bend the center, (good luck) but, hey, you already cut the wood. But, really, I go along with what PB said, but he is getting old. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 09:25:04 pm »
I'd deflex the outer limbs and try to bend the center, (good luck) but, hey, you already cut the wood. But, really, I go along with what PB said, but he is getting old. ;)
Who the hell is PB  I sure hope you are meaning PD  Hahahaha  :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 09:34:26 pm »
Hey, Peanut Butter for his handle.  I think it's kinda catchy.  Has a certain...how do the french say....je ne sais quoi.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 09:43:41 pm »
Ohhhh baby that stave gets my heart pumping. If I could find an osage stave like that, id crap myself. You really cant build that bow wrong no mater which way is the back.  Never worked honey suckle before so I dont know if it makes a good bow or not but that shape has potential for days!

If it were me, and I wanted to play it safe as possible, id position the handle so it was a deflexed handle with reflexed limbs. Then of course recurve the ends and tiller that bad boy out to look like an egyptian traingle ( i think thats what they were called ) bow. Also I would fill in the handle area with wood to strengthen it and make it a 45 pound bow. Perhaps sinew it as well if it gace me any warning signs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:47:25 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 10:12:20 pm »
seems like the handle would be easier to shoot,, if you made it with the natural deflex and recurved the tips,, but what ever should be a fun bow,,nice find,,

Offline JonW

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 10:18:06 pm »
Since it is green leave it as long as it takes to dry it. The less heating to get it to the shape you want the better. A five curve is not that difficult of a bow to make. I think it will work if you do your part.  ;)

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 11:04:04 pm »
i just realized that the pic doesn't show very well but i already roughed it out for a five curve. i think i'll let it sit for a month, in this heat and with how small it is shouldn't take long >:D

PD: thank you for the advice about stability and the strength of the kink(for lack of a better term) i'm just trying it for the heck of it and if it fails well i wont feel to bad about cutting it down, the stuff is a invasive species thats choking out native plants. makes a decent bow though >:D O:)

DB: this is far from my first bow, i don't want to be rude but i'm wondering if you got my and swamp thang's threads confused.

sleek: i've made a few bows from honeysuckle before(its everywhere where i live) and it seems to be pretty decent stuff, tension strong and seems to be at least somewhat compression strong but i haven't really tested its limits. however a high crown is par for the coarse, it will check to hell if your not careful and i've not had good luck doing major heat bends(like recurves and extreme alignment corrections) 
finding a branch like this isn't really to rare with this plant, it will naturally arch over and then correct itself hence the kink. this is just the first time i thought to try it this way :)