Author Topic: Primitive vs modern glues for sinew  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Primitive vs modern glues for sinew
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 08:25:37 pm »
I've used knox on several bows with good results.  Whatever you use make sure to clean and degrease the back of the bow before putting the sinew down.

Very good point Clint !!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 09:14:57 pm »
This whole thing was just hashed out a few months ago. And, I think someone posted the Stat's on Knox Gellatin, it was at the top of the list.
Also, if you use TB it is a plastic glue. When it cures, it is sealed. You will get no shrinkage. I've had old bows sinewed with Knox that I have had to re tiller because they gained more weight after 7 or more years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 10:28:40 pm »
I have not seen anyone post performance results of a bow with titebond,, yes it will work,,I have not tried it so do not know much more than I have read,,,, but if someone posted realistic chrono test with a titebond sinew bow, it would be easier to make a comparison,,I have a feeling that if the titebond was easier and would shoot as well,,, we would see alot of sinew bows with titebond,, but that does not seem to be the case,, so I am just guessing that hide glue may have performance advantages that a titebond bow would not,, as mentioned it seems the sinew does not shrink as well,,,,that could have a negative effect on the cast of the bow,,,,for me when I do the extra work to make a sinew bow,,, I like it to have good cast,,, in my mind, better than an average self bow,, I am not just happy with the bow holding together at a longer draw,,, and shooting,, I want it to  shoot hard for its draw weight,,,hide glue will do that for sure,, :)

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 06:23:35 am »
There is a big difference between Titebond 1,2,3, & Titebond hide glue the hide glue just has a retardant in it to keep it liquid it's still collagen based glue , with this next bow I'm trying the traditional type so I can see the difference , not promoting that glue it's just what I had at the time so it will be interesting to see a comparison between the two.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 11:52:34 am »
I've made more than a dozen sinew backed bows, I've used Knox, store bought hide glue pearls, and home made sinew scrap glue. I've had good results with all.  I've done a sizing of TB3, but only after the sinew has cured for 4-6 months.
Sinewing bows takes a lot of time and work, I'd never use it on a bow I was trying to save or up the weight on, or use anything but a glue that should be used with sinew. If I was just looking for some protection and wanted to use TB3, I'd use rawhide