Author Topic: Annnd THIS is why you make friends with your game warden:  (Read 7753 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Annnd THIS is why you make friends with your game warden:
« on: August 07, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »
I drew absolutely NO TAGS this year.  I was trying to keep the whine out of my voice talking with one of the local Conservation Officers and he told me that he'd personally hook me up with some landowners if I put in for second draw double doe white tail tags in an area where the population has exploded.

What's the downside? I have to learn to hunt in prairie conditions and all my experience is in the Black Hills.  At least I have good optics and my legs are still working.  Maybe I won't starve this winter like I was thinking I might!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Annnd THIS is why you make friends with your game warden:
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 04:54:13 pm »
Believe me, they are not that helpful here....Seems you are guilty of something upon contact here, not people I like to deal with.....Aholes!

Be thankful for sure!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 06:16:59 pm »
Well...
I got skunked on the first and second draw this year.Small game,here i come.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:44:02 pm »
You have to DRAW tags? Here in oklahoma you just buy em and go to your lease, buddies house who has land, or take your chances on public land, and hunt. I dont understand this drawing yall talk about.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 12:52:58 pm »
You have to DRAW tags? Here in oklahoma you just buy em and go to your lease, buddies house who has land, or take your chances on public land, and hunt. I dont understand this drawing yall talk about.

Years back they had unlimited over the counter tags in the Black Hills.  Button bucks and single spikes were the best you could hope for.  They had less than 35% success rate for hunters.  When they instituted limited tags, the people gathered their pitchforks and torches to storm the castle.  Fortunately the castle walls held.  While we are not competing with Iowa corn fed bucks or those monster Saskatchewan and Alberta superbucks, we are regularly shooting 150 class whitetails in the hills and success rates are over 80%, hunter satisfaction is rated as very high. 

I will argue that not drawing a Hills tag is just fine with me this year.  Further, I will argue that if management of the herd requires taking a doe or two off a prairie unit, then I can be happy eating that meat this coming year. 

From button bucks and spikes to this!  Proof in the management, that's what!

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 01:57:18 pm »
Hey thats not bad!

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:11:49 pm »
Hope it works out for you! That's a good looking buck. Who knows maybe you'll become a prairie deer addict

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »

Years back they had unlimited over the counter tags in the Black Hills.  Button bucks and single spikes were the best you could hope for.  They had less than 35% success rate for hunters.  When they instituted limited tags, the people gathered their pitchforks and torches to storm the castle.  Fortunately the castle walls held.  While we are not competing with Iowa corn fed bucks or those monster Saskatchewan and Alberta superbucks, we are regularly shooting 150 class whitetails in the hills and success rates are over 80%, hunter satisfaction is rated as very high. 

I will argue that not drawing a Hills tag is just fine with me this year.  Further, I will argue that if management of the herd requires taking a doe or two off a prairie unit, then I can be happy eating that meat this coming year. 

From button bucks and spikes to this!  Proof in the management, that's what!

I agree with you JW on the draw.. BTW no superbucks in Alberta.. It's a myth.. None of you fellas come here.. Never seen one once... Does not exist.. Button bucks all of them.. I tell ya...
Hunting the praireis.. Stay low.. Don't go trying to make up a bunch of yardage on a critter.. Plan your routes befor it happens.. Have a plan.. My favorite place is a chokecherry bush near a dry creek bed.. Find a hole in there trim some shooting lanes.. Remain calm..
Grew up in the prairies.. In a place you can watch your dog runaway from home for 3 days.. Heck I shot a 4x4 mulie buck at 30 yards with my lyman 50cal caplock (to windy for the flinter).... Think of the campfire story this'll mak.. Back in '16er I was....
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 03:22:41 pm »
We have a "Lottery" here as well. You can chose one hunt. Archery, Rifle or Black powder. There are 225 available units for buck deer, 13 for antlerless deer, 189 for bull elk, 193 for antlerless elk. Some of those are archery only, and some are other weapons. You almost need a degree to figure out what area you need to apply for. The only way around it is to get a dedicated hunter tag. Then you can hunt every hunt, BUT, only harvest one deer per year, and no more than 3 deer per 5 years, as well as perform about 40 hours of community service associated with wildlife or the outdoors per year. It's a horn hunters tag, not a meat hunters tag.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 03:45:54 pm »
Dont believe I will be moving there Jojo!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 03:56:36 pm »
Wow, 40 hours of community service associated with the wildlife or outdoors?  I am all in favor of that and will mention it to several of the South Dakota Game fish and Parks Commissioners that I am on a handshake basis with.  What a great idea!  After all, if under the North American Wildlife Conservation Model we are ALL owners of the resource, we all need to do a good share to take care of things. 

Offline Traxx

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 04:02:45 pm »
The only large game tag,you can buy over the counter in NV is mountain lion.We have Deer,Elk,pronghorn,mountain Sheep,Mountain Goat,Bear, mountain lion and a host of other fur and feathered small game.The majority of the State is under Federal Jurisdiction,so hunting opportunities abound,for now.We still have country in this state,that one can spend a week in and never see another human.

Dont believe I will be moving there....

I wish more people had that same attitude.LOL

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 04:32:11 pm »
I got drawn for a lottery on 19,000 acres on an army munitions plant.. Where I have to shoot two doe just to get a buck tag, this means I could legally take take three bucks and umpteen does this season. In my defense I literally moved here from 330 miles away because I grew up watching huge  iowa deer and had been waitin for the opportunity

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 04:33:51 pm »
Game warden in my area is a nice guy.Lives 15 miles from me.We know each other well.A resident person in Iowa can buy multiple deer tags[buck & doe] if he or she wants.No restrictions on numbers of points etc.A spike can have a doe tag put on it though.An antlered doe can have a doe tag put on it.There are so many different catagories...youth[16 and under]/disabled[cross bow use]/retirement age[lifetime hunting license] /land owner/& regular.I think a regular resident person can buy 5 deer tags maybe if they want for under $125.00.Non resident not so.You really gotta read the rules good before starting.All I know is october 1st. archery season starts for me.There is a shut down during the 2 week long shotgun seasons in december.Usually if things work out for me I have my deer before that.Then it's open again through a week into january when everything shuts down.Trapping and hunting both.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 04:41:36 pm »
Guess I am gonna find out what this .30-30 Marlin lever action loaded with the LEVEREvolution copper bullets can do to put food on the table. I am gonna go buy two boxes more and do some more target work soon. No sense counting on a 30 yard chip shot since I am gonna be on the prairie!