Author Topic: new highs, new lows.  (Read 1353 times)

Offline phyankord

• Everyone starts somewhere
new highs, new lows.
« on: August 01, 2016, 08:48:42 pm »
today started off great when i finished took a half done preform (from a old relatively crazy spall) and turned it into the closest to arrow quality level point. (thinner than the last one!)

and ended with me completely trashing one of the best spalls i had made for a while.

impact point at the very bottom right tip of the spall, one of the last spots that still had surface rock on it.

on a side note from these pics it looks like i got rid of that blurry issue (hopefully).

Offline phyankord

Re: new highs, new lows.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 08:55:40 pm »
if you guys want i can take a pic from under the sun, the glow through is amazing on this obsidian (though not as clear as my first since its got the red in it)

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:40:29 pm »
That piece that is split down the length could be pressure flaked into a nice point. Do you do any/much pressure flaking. I think you just got too much of a bite on the platform. Glass material is too tender for much jolting. Have you tried indirect percussion. If I was working that piece, I would start with very gentle, small bites by indirect percussion, then when it shapes up pretty well, I would begin pressure flaking.

Offline phyankord

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 01:21:49 am »
ive never done percussion before (i also dont have the tools for it)

i generally swap to pressure after it gets down to the point where its too clumsy and awkward to use a bopper (also if i need any fine work done on a spot/having trouble with using a bopper in a particular area)

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 08:35:01 am »
Don't bite as much with the pressure flaker and push in, than pop down. That will give you longer flakes. I've got 6 days off coming up, we'll have to do some knapping. Looks like you're getting much better!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline phyankord

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 09:51:41 am »
relatively speaking yea a little better, i started to get into problems though when it comes to crushing the rock that i hit instead of breaking flakes, which in turn makes it impossible to flake from that entire area, also if you noticed on that point the center is a little thinner than both ends which is another thing i need to work on. and hinges hinges hinges lol