Author Topic: Sinew - To Fuss or Not to Fuss  (Read 4264 times)

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
Sinew - To Fuss or Not to Fuss
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »
So I've got a bow with some sinew curing - about 48 hours in - and would like some input.

I reverse braced it to pull it into a bit of reflex, as I've read that's a good idea (yes the tips are flipped). I erred on the side of caution and didn't brace it very much though, and now that the glue has pretty well dried the string is fairly slack. It's not floppy, but it definitely isn't holding the bow in reflex anymore as it 'jiggles' when I shake the bow. 

I've VERY tempted to twist the string up a bit and pull it into more reflex, but am wondering if this is a good idea as the glue has already hardened. I guess I could theoretically reheat it but I'd like to avoid that as it looks pretty good as is. I've got a steel S hook on the string that I was using to change length during pre-tillering - much like the washer idea I've seen, but I just loop it over the hook a couple times.

Has anyone increased reflex during the sinew curing process? Any input welcome, and thanks!
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Sinew - To Fuss or Not to Fuss
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:27:15 pm »
Yes you can tighten it up, I always do.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:48:30 pm »
I would also. It's got lots more curing to do and the less work it has to do to reflex itself the more reflex you should end up with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:58:01 pm »
I'm VERY happy to hear that. I promptly tightened it up and it's looking really good now. It had been in the sun for a bit so probably the best time to do it. I don't know if I can wait 12 more days... minimum. HAHA >:D

Thanks guys!
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 11:37:03 pm »
I'd give it at least a month. Put it out of sight and get another stave and start anew bow.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:17:27 am »
Hmm, that's gonna be tough Pat! Ill have to get another board to work in the meantime.

Ive also gotta find out how to legally get some of this juniper that covers these hills. I really liked the sinewing process and a short juniper bow is on my list of wants.
Best Regards,

Andrew

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 02:22:36 am »
Pulling a sinewed bow too early isn't good! Remember it is not just the sinew you are waiting to dry , it is the bows back too. The wood under the sinew will soak up a good bit of moisture when applying sinew and that moisture has to get all the way through the sinew as well to leave the bow.
Dry sinew will give you a really snappy stave that pings back to its unstrung profile, still damp siew doesn't so all that work will be for little gain....wait!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 07:11:25 am »
You are using hide glue, right?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 08:03:37 am »
Yep, I actually bought some good quality glue from Pine Hollow. Really love the smell for some reason.

Alright I will trust y'all  ;) its been so dry here I figured I could get away with a couple weeks but better 'excellent' thank 'okay' I guess. I'll put it on the calender.  ;D
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:57:07 am »
What the others said.
I  shorten the cord for bracing backwards every day or two while sinew curing. So you get the most benefit.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 08:34:01 pm »
I appreciate all the feedback. Here is what she looks like since being sinewed Friday evening

Its sort of cocked back toward the wall as the hooks curve up away. The bow underneath is my latest, and my wife's. It will get its own post as soon as she will pose with it  8)
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »
So its been 2 weeks. Ive pledged to wait at least a month to resume tillering.

Am I able to start scraping the sinew smooth at this stage or should I wait for that as well?
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline simson

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 04:00:58 pm »
Let's see a pic how the sinew looks. It should be quite even, no need to scrape on the sinew - this would be wasted material and time/work. If you got gaps or cracks, fill it with sinew until everything is even.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DesertDisciple

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 09:56:47 pm »
Sinew looks like this so far

I think I did an okay job but there are a couple areas on the edges I thought I could just scrape smooth

Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Newindian

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 03:44:32 pm »
if you want it smooth you can cover it with super glue, dry, sand, and repeat to the point of having a glossy surface, be careful though you don't really want glue on the surface when you finish and make sure you have good ventilation with so much surface area you really need to watch the fumes. super glue will usually crack horizontally after a while. this will certainly increase water resistance so wait for sinew to cure fully. I usually spread the glue with the plastic off the package it comes in. the entire process is rather labor involved for such a subtle effect (assuming sinew is neat) , but it can really make a sinew bow seam much more prfessional
p.s. there is probably a better glue to use out there
I like free stuff.