Author Topic: Planting yew trees  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Strichev

Planting yew trees
« on: July 17, 2016, 04:15:18 am »
Over here yew is quite rare and constantly under threat by random human action; be it a honorable bowyer or a detestable hunter (the guys who never shoot without a tripod or a solid rest and make yew plates for mounting skulls), we all contribute to the rarity of the tree. And indeed in many places it is considered to be endangered, almost to the point of extinction. The problem is made worse (over here in Slovenia at least) by the lack of economic incentive to plant yew - you can't sell raw yew timber to Italy and Austria, unlike spruce and the sort of trees. Well, perhaps it's even better that way. But I digress.

It's incredibly easy to plant a new yew tree. One takes a small branch and just sticks it into the ground in a nice shady place and keeps it watered. I've planted 3 of them a couple of months ago and all of them seem to be growing at a nice, steady pace. It's a hardy tree.

I suggest that every bowyer plants a few yew trees for every stave cut so as to preserve (and spread?) the wonderful tree. It's poisonous, yes, but beautiful. It would be a shame if it disappeared some time in the future.

Besides, it's a symbol of everlasting life. Perhaps a yew we plant will grow for a 1000 years. And that, without a doubt, is one of the most profound marks one can leave on this world; what other thing that went through our hands can we hope to last as long?

(pictures are to follow soon)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Planting yew trees
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 08:08:41 am »
That is a good idea.  No Yew trees around here but I have planted and transplanted many trees over the years.  I was fortunate enough to come across a HHB many years ago that was loaded with seed so I harvested many of the seeds and spread them around where HHB did not grow.  Perhaps the guys who do cut Yew could just take a branch from the tree they have cut and stick it into the ground some place suitable in honour of the tree that was cut.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 09:13:07 am »
With all our ash trees dieing  here from the emerald ash bore I've spread a lot of different types of seeds around the HHB is a good idea Marc I'll have to watch mine for seed about when does it mature?
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:04:57 am »
That is a great idea that I will personally follow.
Next time I go cut some staves, I'll make sure to plant a couple of the branches from the cut tree.
It's a great initiative.
~Isaia

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 11:10:27 am »
Air layering is said to be very successful on yew trees when done in the summer, cutting a ring of bark of a small branch then wrap with sphagnum moss, watered(with some growth hormone added) then wrapped up in plastic. Roots grow under the wrapping then cut the branch under the new roots and ready to plant, I suppose you could do this on multiple branches on a tree prior to being cut down. A popular method with bonsai enthusiasts. (Might be a bit late this year but I may try this with a local ancient yew down the end of my street for a large bonsai for the back garden.)

Ruddy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:21:35 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 11:21:26 am »
I have planted over a hundred yew trees. Every time I cut some yew I always plant seedlings from the branches. You gotta give back. Can't always take, especially with stuff like yew. Great to hear others do it too! Cheers- Brendan

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 11:38:08 am »
Yup I get seedlings from the Yew in my back garden and plant them out  :)
Mind, I never fell a whole tree anyhow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 12:03:46 pm »
I have fallen a whole tree, but mostly go for one's with two or more main trunks. Besides planting them I also do some minor pruning on smaller saplings so they grow nice and straight. Some I have been tending for about 9 years now. They will make nice staves for someone in the future. Possibly my grandchildren. That's always a good thought, to be able to pass on to different generations. My kids will know where they are and how to care for them. Hopefully they will still be around for future bowyers.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 01:13:42 pm »
I would love to plant some HHB on my property.  I would trade for some seeds if anyone is interested. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 01:28:03 pm »
I would love to plant some HHB on my property.  I would trade for some seeds if anyone is interested.

Ditto.  I would love to see how HHB would fare on the eastern slopes of the Black Hills. I doubt I will live long enough to see them make bow wood, but like it has been said, it is not always about taking.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 02:04:50 pm »
I'll try keeping an eye on mine for seed I've got it growing in a couple places. Pertty sure it'd have to be a really small bow JW the growth ring are really narrow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 06:08:58 pm »
HHB seeds mature in the Fall.  They don't flower every year, at least up here, and I've only seen seed clusters on HHB on 2 separate occasions.  I have been keeping my eyes open for some, once in awhile anyway, but it's been about 10 years since I've seen some.  One part of our land has a large number of trees, all twisted and gnarly unfortunately, so I'll have to have a look this Fall.  The seeds are actually quite large, like about the size of small Sunflower seeds, and birds and squirrels love them.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 07:11:03 pm »
I wonder if you could get yew to grow where you live, Marc? Osage doesn't grow in Florida but there are two trees in my front yard.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 10:23:16 pm »
I'd love to plant some yes but I doubt they would grown down here in the extreme temperature differences. Osage definitely.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 11:53:36 am »
Yew does grow up here Eddie.  I saw 2 trees that had been planted next to an old Hospital where we lived in Mattawa, they were short and gnarly and about 5" in diameter.  The trees had been planted when the Hospital had been built in the early 1900's.  They tore down the Hospital some 6 years ago and when they did I asked the construction company if the trees were going to be removed, they said no.  A week later the trees were gone, ripped out by an excavator.   I was a bit sad

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com