Author Topic: Tiny camper gathering  (Read 10880 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Tiny camper gathering
« on: July 15, 2016, 08:57:38 pm »
Last night I stayed at a local state park with the RRII because there was a tiny camper gathering going on there.  I pulled in right at dark and set up camp.  This morning I made the rounds looking at all the cool campers and visiting with the owners.  I had a blast.  Everyone there was super friendly and enjoyed showing off their campers.  They pretty much all knew each other from previous events.  I was the new guy and they all wanted to check out the RRII.  I got a lot of compliments and some suggestions for improvements.  One guy used to build them as a side business.  He gave me an idea on how to install a low cost AC unit that won't take up any cabin space or be an eyesore on the outside.  I'm going to start working on that soon.  They invited me to a large gathering in July of next year.  They had 144 campers there last summer.  They have that event every other year. 

I took a lot of pictures.  This was a sweet outfit.  The enclosed trailer was converted into a very cool camper inside. 

With creations like this walker grill I knew I would fit right in with this crowd. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tiny camper gathering
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 09:06:15 pm »
The coating on this camper was interesting.  The owner called it ghetto glass or poor mans fiberglass.  He took bed sheets and soaked them in a mixture of TB3 and water.  He stretched them over the plywood shell.  It felt just like a fiberglass coating on it.  I've got to find a project to try that on. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:16:09 pm »
Very cool Clint i have always liked the teardrop campers and you are right it looks like you fit right in
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:57:34 pm »
Really cool Clint I'm sure you got a lot of good ideas there. How long till RR3? I just hope we don't lose you to the mini camper gang. Nice pictures I think yours is my favorite though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 09:57:42 pm »
I love these. However i lean more towards the tiny house crowd which some of these arent far from. Right now i live in tje backof my pickup  truck and have for the last 3 months. I may do it for another year still yet so these interest me deeply. The art of making do with as little as possible.  I love it. Thanks for sharing.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:10:21 pm »
I like my Teardrop :) But I look at different ones everyday to modify mine. I was suprised to see some of the real small ones had canopies but with no walls so you could step out and get dressed with a little privacy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:13 pm »
You are right Mullet.  There were no privacy walls on any of the awnings.  I'm not sure how they got dressed.   

Seeing all of those small teardrops did get me my thinking about making one. 

One of the owners told me about an older guy that used to come to their gatherings.  He was a metal worker and made an aluminum teardrop camper for him and his wife.  Apparently she had a lot of junk in the trunk if you know what I mean.  He flared out the wall on her side of the bed in the shape of her backside.  It gave them more sleeping room inside.  Now that is a custom built camper  ;D   I would have loved to see that. 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 03:19:31 am »
Thanks for sharing Clint - way cool ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 09:53:34 am »
Some pretty cool rigs there.  I'm still chuckling about the booty bubble tear drop story.  That ghetto glass is pretty much  the method I use to cloth back bows.  The mulberry bow I made for otter is done that way with fake copperhead skins.  Thanks for sharing!  Josh

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 10:04:14 am »
That ghetto glass is used a lot in older boats construction. They would lay down a lead based paint and lay thick canvas over it, then paimt over the canvas . This was done over decking and was great for water proofing.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 07:02:57 pm »
Tear Jerkers...heck of a name for folks that pull teardrop campers.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 08:04:23 pm »
Cool pics. Clint,  looks like a good time. I love looking at these as they are kind of a novelty compared to the majority of campers you see being used today. The smaller ones each seem to have a individual personality you don't find in the bigger rigs. Just like how the Redneck Ramada has its own style and personality. Also being small camper owners ourselves the wife and I are drawn to them. Sharon is always looking at pics. of small and restored vintage campers online and showing them to me. Have you visited the RV Hall of Fame in your home state? I haven't been there but Sharon has and says it is worth seeing.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 08:13:40 pm »
A couple f months ago I saw an old aluminum tear drop camper from the 40's early 50's at the place I bought my new one from. Well, the wife said I didn't need two so I wasn't in the mood to argue, I'd just buy it and bring it home and listen to the crap for a few days :D. By the time I got back it was gone. Then I saw it a couple of months later in front of an Antique store and the guy told me they bought it for less then $150 and it wasn't for sale. I almost broke down and cried. :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 10:03:48 pm »
Greg, I'm going to try to go to that huge  gathering near Indianapolis next July.  You guys should haul yours down for the weekend. 

Mullet, for that price I would have drove down and picked that one up myself.  Next time don't listen to your wife.  Just don't tell her I said that  ;)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 10:10:49 pm »
Remind me next year Clint, we might be up for that if your going too.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.