Author Topic: Autopilot Cars  (Read 9849 times)

Offline JEB

Re: Autopilot Cars
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 12:15:09 pm »
I may already have an auto pilot" driving car.  When ever my wife and I go anywhere she drives all the way and never touches the wheel.

Keep in mind that the blonde I my auto GPS is never 100% and if they can't get that right I certainly can't trust an auto driver.

I have been around this great America 67 years and now a days it is hard to find a pencil.  The basics are being tossed out the window and of course that is after the button is pushed to open it.

Like Pearl Drums: I have taught my kids and grandkids how to drive.  I send my 13 year old grandson after my backhoe/ front end loader all the time. He can operate that better than me.

JacksonCash

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 12:16:38 pm »
I'm thinking along the lines of a spliced bow. I've been shooting them for a couple of years and still get the willies if I think about it too much. Autopilot cars will have to go through the same proving ground. Most big airplanes are mostly autopilot and fortunately they don't plunge out of the sky too often. When they do the fault is split between the computer systems and the pilots.

Airplane autopilot is amazingly precise- so much so that there is an example of two airplanes nearly colliding head on- both on auto pilot, heading in opposite directions- at the same altitude. Lots of human mistakes, but man that autopilot had them right on track. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gol_Transportes_A%C3%A9reos_Flight_1907

Jackson, who is the last store clerk that can give you change without looking at the register.  Like I wrote, we are "dumbing down" America.
Its difficult to find a store clerk on checkouts, so many self checkouts. I really hate those- taking jobs from clerks and giving them to me... I've got enough hobbies, I don't need to occupy myself as a part time store clerk.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 02:08:28 pm »
This autopilot stuff is just another symptom of a cradle to grave nanny society.  An ever growing portion of the populace would be perfectly content to be relieved of any decision, obligation or responsibility whatsoever.  The fact is too many people have never had to struggle for anything their entire life.  They feel there's no need to earn anything, work hard at learning anything or be responsible for their own actions or inaction.  Computers, mommy and daddy, government or some other supposedly benevolent entity will happily carry their worthless carcass and only ask a small sacrifice in return such as their liberty.  I know I'm off on a tangent here, but I am sick of watching the greatest gift from our forebearers, the gift of freedom being incriminately stripped away because some idiots can't handle the responsibility that is demanded by freedom.  Learn how to drive and realize you're not the only one on the road and we won't have to worry about our cars, trucks and school busses getting a virus or having a glitch and killing a whole bunch of people.  Rant over.  Josh

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:22 pm »
Give me a self driving car any day over the 2 hours I sit in traffic Monday to Friday. Especially if it's on a grid so that every car is doing 100 without any idiots changing lanes without looking or driving 60 in the HOV lane.

Having said that, it has to be an all or nothing deal. Either everyone has self driving cars on the interstate or no one does because having both won't work. Too many bad drivers out there. I have never had an at fault accident and I typically have to avoid being in a wreck once a month on the interstate in Nashville. If a computer can fix that, I'm all for it.

What I'd rather see is the driving age in the US increased to 21 like it is in other countries, tougher crackdown on using a phone while driving, etc.

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 02:53:32 pm »
I have to agree with gundoc, used to be you had to think and do for yourself, people are willing to give that away because somethings hard to do or it is boring. An autocar is ridiculous if you don't want to drive call a cab
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 03:24:51 pm »
It's less about being too lazy to drive and more about the average of 38,000 deaths each year in the US alone in traffic accidents...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 03:37:50 pm »
Autopilot would allow us to get drunk wasted and text while we "ride" home. Of those 38,000 how many involve drinking or texting or both? Cant fix stupid.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 03:41:15 pm »
Never mind, I looked it up. Over a third of those deaths are drunk/texting fools. 10,839 drinking deaths (avg), 3,154 texting (avg). 66,000 people have died in the US alone from texting and driving.

Yeah, lets hook some auto pilot up for those people. Great plan.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 03:52:54 pm »
Exactly, no more of these idiots killing good people. the AI doesn't get drunk, it doesn't text, it doesn't get distracted by the kids in the back seat or the cute babe crossing the street, it doesn't get tired on a long roadtrip in the middle of the night. I enjoy driving but there are also many times I would love to be able to let the car get me home instead of loading up with a near lethal dose of caffeine to finish that long drive home at 3am so I can be at work the next day...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 04:00:24 pm »
Autopilot wont stop either of those from taking place. Drunks will still think THEY can drive better and texters will to. Hypothetically speaking, If say 30% of our population died under these two circumstances in only a few years you would still drive down the road and see texters and cops would still be busy busting drunks. Idiots are idiots. Again, you cant fix stupid.

Offline bow101

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 06:39:57 pm »
I have probably over 600,000 miles logged in my years of driving.  Thats's fog, snow, heavy rain, nite time,heavy wind etc....etc..
We now have a society that has no life but sit around and play with their I-phones etc,, and eventually they can drive while texting, heck the computer looks after your driving why not.
I'm glad old age is setting in I dont have to really bother with this tech stuff soon.  We know the difference of a simple life years ago....... :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline helmet

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 07:50:55 pm »
I can't imagine who would even dream up somthing like that let alone take it seriously. Ha ha when did the "Geeks" take over?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 10:42:55 pm »

[quote author=Urufu_Shinjiro link=topic=57472.msg792150#msg792150 date=146782822 I enjoy driving but there are also many times I would love to be able to let the car get me home instead of loading up with a near lethal dose of caffeine to finish that long drive home at 3am so I can be at work the next day...
[/quote]

I hate to burst your bubble, but that admission put you squarely in the "idiots" category that you are hanging on texters and drunk drivers.  All that caffeine may keep your eyes open, but your mental acuity is no better than the drunks.  It's very dangerous and irresponsible to keep driving when you know the only thing keeping you awake is stimulants.  Yes, that's a pet peeve of mine.  I've pushed hard at times, but when my mental acuity starts slipping, I go to bed.  Better to get there late than never.  Josh

Offline Mounter

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 11:04:29 pm »
I expect the full auto pilot thing to be short lived once the lawsuits start rolling in. "No officer I didn't run that red light and crash into that guy, It was auto pilot."

However, you try and take away my GPS in downtown St. Louis or Austin and we might have a brawl. North, south east and west don't do you no good there.

Offline cantshoot

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 08:15:51 am »
Self drive cars are a band aid solution to the real problem which is congestion... In my opinion a much better solution would be mass transit I would love to be able to sell my car and pocket the money that I throw away on insurance, gas and repairs. It would be like getting 5 years of pay raises at once.

Can't ever see myself owning a self drive vehicle but then again it depends where I live in the next decades. It would be pretty interesting if your car dropped you off from work and then went out to be a taxi all day and came back to pick you up with a basket of money for you.

Driving will change but the math of it will change ownership habits drastically before then I imagine.