Author Topic: One for the Rockies  (Read 1446 times)

Offline timmyd

One for the Rockies
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:15:12 am »
Well, come September, i'll be chasing the ever elusive bull elk in the Colorado rockies. I have been shooting a glass longbow I built a couple years ago but man, something in me just really wants to take a self bow in a bad way. I've just been concerned that in order to get the performance that I'll be confident will take down an elk, I would have to build a #70 plus bow lol...but I've decided to give the bow a go and we shall she how she shoots and maybe some on here that have shot elk with selfbows will let me know if it will get the job done. So...here goes:

I traded a pair of osage slats for this osage stave. It's pretty clean..just a couple pin knot clusters but the grain is pretty straight. The stave itself is twisted some so I'll have to straighten but that's ok as I will be putting some curve out at the tips anyway to get the performance up. I've drawn it 66" T2T...1.25" wide at the flares to midlimb and then straight taper to 1/2" nocks. Standard 4" handle section with 2" flares. I'm shooting for somewhere around #60@28. I would rather be a little north of that than south but I could live with #55 if I had to. I'm really excited about working this bow. I haven't built a self bow in probably 5+ years as I"ve been doing glass stuff. Let me know what you think with the layout.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: One for the Rockies
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:50:58 am »
I have zero experience with Osage but I would think that should work. I routin for ya on your hunt hope you have successful adventure. Maybe someone with more bow layout skills than me can add something for advice.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:15:30 am »
Sounds workable.  If it were mine I would stay wide of my lines in case I needed the width, but otherwise sounds good.  I would also shoot for a bit of an elliptical profile in the tiller.  You have some serious straightening to do it appears.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:45:50 am »
Since it looks like you have some "spare" length I'd lay it out longer and go from there.
Wish I was young enough to go elk hunting but I waited too long...
Best of luck on the bow and the hunt.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:53:27 am »
timmyd.....You're right.You should get close up to 60 to 65 pounds of draw out of those dimensions from osage that's good and dry.If you can and want to make sure go 1.5" wide with the layout you showed.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed