Author Topic: Back in the Saddle Again  (Read 2909 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Back in the Saddle Again
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:32:22 am »
OK..first ring I've chased on Osage in more than a year.  Like riding a bike, but I'm having trouble riding a wheelie.  :)  This is a stave I have had drying for 3 years or so.  Very thin rings from the sap wood till you get about half way down.  I tried chasing one of the thinner rings up top.  Lost my way at about 2/3 of the length and moved to the other end and started from there planning on connecting the 2.  Almost done and a grub hole appeared out of nowhere.  Dang-it!  Too deep to sand out, so I went down to the bottom of the grub hole and worked my way out.  Nearly finished and I get a tear out behind a pin knot.  Dang-it!  The ring was just so thin that there was no use fretting over it.  Clean thru the ring.  So I finally went down to the first thicker ring and started over.  Darkness last night prevented me from finishing it but I'm close.  Pretty red streaks and blotches on this one.  58 inches long.  Think I'm going to try a static recurve with it.  I spent a little time last night looking thru some of PEARL DRUMS statics for inspiration.  The knots concern me a bit, with the shorter length, but I am going to keep the recurves on the shorter side, maybe 3-3 1/2 inches or so and see what develops.  I want a shorter little bow to hunt with this year.  Any thoughts or advice is welcome and appreciated.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Back in the Saddle Again
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:47:24 am »
That's one nice looking snakey stave!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:50:03 am »
For a static I'd select a cleaner stave.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:06:35 am »
For me, its more about straight and flat than clean. In osage anyway. Alignment is the almighty killer of statics. That being said? I prefer clean and straight for everything I do anymore, suppose my wrestling days are past me :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 10:30:52 am »
Looks like you are off to a good start Slimbob
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 10:57:27 am »
The big question for me is the knots for sure.  I know from past history that PatM looks for clean and knot free as a rule and I believe that is good advice on this one.  I believe the alignment will be good Chris.  My working plan is to get it down to floor tiller and see what I have.  If needed I can flip the tips instead of full on statics and I know (make that feel) I can get away with that on this one. I really want statics if I think it will work when I get there. I appreciate the thoughts and will see where this goes from here. 

Offline Thunder

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:03 am »
Can't wait to see the finished product SLIMBOB!

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:03:36 am »
If those knots are okay for a flat bow then they are okay for a static flat bow, those are my feelings. I don't see any knots in the portion getting steam bent.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:11:27 am »
All of them are near midlimb.  If it works I think it will be pretty cool looking.  IF!  I have an excellent couple of Mulberry pieces and I just cant get fired up on those boring straight things. They are both much better candidates for a static, my craziness not withstanding.  Flat bow, no problem, so if you think that will translate, I'm off to the races.
Hey Thunder.  Glad you checked in.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 12:19:34 pm »
I don't see a problem with those knots. If it will ben without statics it will bend with them. What draw length are you wanting you can always deflex it some
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 12:33:38 pm »
Hey bubby. 27 inch draw length. I have considered deflexing it some. I love R/D bows but I have never built one. I think it will make what I am after but the knots are a concern. I gotta say I am just glad to have a draw knife back in my hands no matter which way this goes.   Thanks for checking in!

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 12:44:22 pm »
Hey let us know how it goes, would really love to see the final result!
~Isaia

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
It comes down to whether you believe a static bends the working limb farther than a straight bow.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 01:03:13 pm »
At 27" with a 58" stave i would deflex it some or make it a bendy, or both
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 01:05:11 pm »
It comes down to whether you believe a static bends the working limb farther than a straight bow.

I believe it works just a bit more limb. I don't think that another, say 3/4-1", per limb would make or break the knots he is talking about. Osage knots just don't seem to care about much, at least that what I have found.