Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 86548 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2017, 11:21:37 am »
how about this.....

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #226 on: March 16, 2017, 11:42:46 am »
Same picture, your most recent one....

Ok, see how the left limb is bending just a BIT more than the right?  If the left will be your upper limb, that is almost correct.  Maybe just barely too much difference, but having a stiffer bottom limb is fine, or perfectly symmetrical tiller is fine.

NOW, this is in VERY rough terms, but do you see how I divided the limbs each into three sections?  Inner limbs, mid-limbs, and tips.  The front profile of your bow calls for "elliptical" tiller.   Inner limbs should be bending some, mid-limbs bending MORE, and then tips going back to bending LESS, even stiff in the last few inches.  In reality we could divide the limb into five sections (or even seven) and from the handle out it would be something like ; #1 barely bending, #2 bending barely more, #3 barely more than that but obviously more than #1, #4 about the same, #5 going back to barely bending and even less at the very tip.

Anyway, that's basically what you have got going right now, so pretty good.  I would say your inner limbs are SLIGHTLY stiff.  And, I would say you could make a full pass of crayon, rasp, and scrape on the RIGHT limb, maybe two passes, to catch it up to the left limb.  Overall, you have got it bending appropriate amounts in the right places.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2017, 11:46:05 am »
Like this.....

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2017, 11:49:04 am »
So, what is it pulling right now to get it to that peg with the long string?  I would vote that it's time to get a real string on it, even if you brace it low, like 3-4" and find out what it is really pulling in the first couple inches.  That by itself might also get that inner limb area bending a tad more.

Offline Marin

« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2017, 04:58:43 pm »
Last i checked it was pulling aprox. 26 lbs at 14 inches draw.
I just need to even it out because my tillering gizmo marked some stiff spots and then I'll place I'll do low brace.

Offline Marin

« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2017, 05:01:11 pm »
Dang Springbuck, that's a great diagram! very helpful too!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2017, 05:15:05 pm »
What is your target weight?  And, that is 14" of draw with the long string, correct?

Offline Marin

« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »
My target weight is 45 lbs at 27 inches of draw and yes that's with long string.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2017, 05:44:19 pm »
Dbar,
Is your sting helper one of those metal taps from a soda can?
What an ingenious idea! I might try it or just tie another timber hitch at th le end if my long tillering string.
Wait, Bubby, you were referring to the long string right? Sorry if I am mistaken.
Thanks guys,
I am going to try and even it out tommorw before switching to short string.
Marin....No it is a 1/8" thk X 1/2" wide aluminum flat bar, that I cut two 3/8" dia. holes in about 5/8" apart if I remember right.  I can take all the credit Mr. Del the Cat gave me the idea the year he attended the Classic.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2017, 07:49:01 pm »
Marin....No it is a 1/8" thk X 1/2" wide aluminum flat bar, that I cut two 3/8" dia. holes in about 5/8" apart if I remember right.  I can take all the credit Mr. Del the Cat gave me the idea the year he attended the Classic.
DBar
And what a great idea it is!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline loon

« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2017, 08:05:38 pm »
The front profile of your bow calls for "elliptical" tiller.
Wait, it's not a pyramid bow?

Offline Marin

« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
It is a pyramid bow.

Offline loon

« Reply #237 on: March 17, 2017, 06:23:15 am »
Then, as far as I know, the front profile of your bow would call for a circular tiller, no? and a gizmo should make it rather easy, from what I've read..

Offline bubby

« Reply #238 on: March 17, 2017, 08:37:51 am »
Like i said get it to about a 4" brace and we will look at it , your fades are a little stiff right now but that is where i like to work back into so it doesn't end up with too much bend there. As far as profile don't worry about that we will get you there, the book may say circular tiller but it also says even taper gives automatic perfect tiller wich in my experiance isn't exactly correct
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #239 on: March 17, 2017, 09:50:43 am »
 YES!  Then LOON is correct, if it is a pyramid, bow, then you do want circular tiller, sorry.  I swear I remembered it having parallel sides more than half way out. 

Maybe post a front profile picture if you get a chance.... and disregard my post about "sections".   Sorry.  EVEN CURVE all along, and use the gizmo every chance you get in that case.

I was remembering this pic and it looked like parallel sides.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:56:21 am by Springbuck »