Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 86551 times)

Offline Marin

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2017, 11:13:33 am »
The tiller stick was leaning against the pole so I thought I had to go slightly above the bow to get a  straight on picture.

Offline Marin

« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2017, 07:42:18 pm »
Well, more tillering today and I took a picture at a much more "even" level. Like I said, one limb is still defiantly stiffer than the other but it is getting better. If anything looks wrong, please say.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
Looks like it's starting to bend Merlin. Just have to keep taking wood that doesn't belong on the finished bow off and leave on the wood that has to stay on for a bow. Your headed in the right direction, carry on.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bubby

« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2017, 08:38:25 pm »
Get the bow on a low brace, about 4" then see what it looks like😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2017, 08:42:05 pm »
15 pages ...We may be working on a record.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Marin

« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2017, 08:56:40 pm »
Why then better keep,on going to make a record  ;)
Besides I think I am already making a record on slowest bow maker at aprox. 8 or so months
Bubby, to string the bow can I just use the under the leg method org do  I nee a bow stringer? I think I read in some places they say you should use a bow stringer at this gage while others say you can just string it at short brace.
Also, how do you make make string the right length for short brace? I assume you place the loop on one end and then bend the bow like your going to sting it and see just about where you would have to tie the timber hitch but I just want to be sure.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2017, 09:17:42 pm »
Why then better keep,on going to make a record  ;)
Besides I think I am already making a record on slowest bow maker at aprox. 8 or so months
Bubby, to string the bow can I just use the under the leg method org do  I nee a bow stringer? I think I read in some places they say you should use a bow stringer at this gage while others say you can just string it at short brace.
Also, how do you make make string the right length for short brace? I assume you place the loop on one end and then bend the bow like your going to sting it and see just about where you would have to tie the timber hitch but I just want to be sure.

Hey I think I can help on this one......I make a long string out of a no stretch material with a loop on each end forget about the troublesome timber hitch...then I use my "string helper" to adjust the length I want , short string, long string, string at brace.....what ever length of bow you have, one tillering string and my string helper will work for them all....
DBar

Offline bubby

« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2017, 09:18:03 pm »
You know that string i sent you, put one loop in a nock and stretch the string tight if it is about three inches from the tip it is close to the right length. If it is farther from the tip twist it a few times counter clockwise to get a little length twist the other way to shorten it. I really don't recomend the step though method go to youtube and search for stringing a bow with push pull method something should come up

Offline bubby

« Reply #218 on: March 15, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »
Dbars little helper will help

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #219 on: March 15, 2017, 09:22:25 pm »
I've even shot arrows with the helper on the string with no problems... and I'm a push pull guy too....
DBar
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:33:30 pm by Danzn Bar »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #220 on: March 15, 2017, 09:50:04 pm »
You'll get it Merlin, it's really looking pretty good so far. I meant what I said, your headed in the right direction just carry on. Once you get it on a short string it technically a bow I believe. Don't be to afraid, bad things can happen but so far your looking good. If they happen you examine them learn from them and carry on. It's just a piece of wood until you make it a bow. When you do that and shoot it, your gonna be so thrilled.
Bjrogg

Offline bubby

« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2017, 10:31:06 pm »
Bj it ain't a bow till it's shot in lol

Offline bubby

« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2017, 10:47:29 pm »
Marin if you go to youtube and subscribe to echo archery he demonstrates push pull and has some very good videos on primitive archery

Offline Marin

« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2017, 12:13:21 am »
Dbar,
Is your sting helper one of those metal taps from a soda can?
What an ingenious idea! I might try it or just tie another timber hitch at th le end if my long tillering string.
Wait, Bubby, you were referring to the long string right? Sorry if I am mistaken.
Thanks guys,
I am going to try and even it out tommorw before switching to short string.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2017, 06:53:42 am »
Bj it ain't a bow till it's shot in lol
I agree Bubby that's just something I saw a feller on you tube say when he first got his stave to brace. He said that's when it changed from a stave to a bow.

Marlin your doing good. Just trying to reassure you. I agree with buddy. Check out some good video on braceing bow. The first time you string it can be a bit tricky. Whatever method you use it's very important that the stresses are spread evenly over the whole bow. Good luck moving forward. You are coming to the point where soon you will notice the wood bending more from your scrapping. I'm not trying to rush you just let you know so far so good.  Carry on
Bjrogg