Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 86545 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #255 on: March 19, 2017, 02:28:22 am »
When tillering it is always a good idea to only work on the stiffest limb until it bends as much as the weaker limb. The bend in the weak limb usually looks different once the strong limb catches up.
Steve Bennett

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #256 on: March 19, 2017, 08:25:35 am »
I should maybe just let Bubby give you the tillering advice but here's mine for what it's worth. I like the bend on the right limb and it looks weaker than the left to me. Your pretty close. I'd try to get that left bending the same as the right is. Bubby has way more experience than I do though understand if you'd like to wait for his opinion. Be careful out of the fades. Most wait for the last couple inches of draw length to get them bending right and it can be really easy to take to much and very bad spot to do it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bubby

« Reply #257 on: March 19, 2017, 12:02:56 pm »
Bj that is pretty much what i said your eye is just fine, it is hard to see proper tiller just from the braced pic and once he gets the limbs matched up we need a pic of it drawn to your projected draw weight
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marin

« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2017, 12:38:19 pm »
Thanks.
So once I get it bending evenly at this level, I should pull it to 45 lbs and check the tiller at this point?

Offline bubby

« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2017, 12:49:02 pm »
Exercise it when you remove wood and check the tiller at 15-18-20", i think you said you were under 30#@14" so say it is at 30#@14"you should be close to 45#@21" so you are safe drawing that far and not going over weight as long as the tiller is good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #260 on: March 19, 2017, 10:56:41 pm »
.. . . . . as long as the tiller is good

quoting just for emphasis. Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marin

« Reply #261 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:55 am »
I was just thinking about this last night and wanted verification: when you're referring to the left limb being to stiff, are you talking about the left limb in the tiller stick or the braced photo? I had flipped the bow around so  that the side with the timber hitch (the limb that I thought was stiffer) was on the other side. This might be why I am a little confused why the left limb appears stiff. I placed the timber hitch on the limb that was stiffer.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2017, 10:50:21 am »
Marin I believe the one I was looking at was the braced picture. Can't really tiller a bow just from a braced picture but that was what I was seeing and I believe it was a board bow so it should have pretty even bend. Can't really speak for Bubby.
Bjrogg

Offline Marin

« Reply #263 on: March 20, 2017, 12:06:27 pm »
I should probably clarify: I was confused why everyone was saying the left limb was stiffer when I thought the right limb appeared stiffer when I pulled it on the tiller stick. I was wondering guys were referring to the left limb of the braces photo or of the photo of the bow pulled?

Offline DC

« Reply #264 on: March 20, 2017, 12:10:22 pm »
Always put the lower limb(or at least the same limb) on the left when posting photos. You avoid a lot of confusion that way.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:40 pm »
Marin I think your eye is telling you what you need to do. your not that far off so far. You knew which limb needed to be reduced. Keep posting those pictures but you are going the right direction. After you build a bow or two I think you'll be able to trust your eyes. Cant wait to see you shoot that one
bjrogg

Offline Marin

« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2017, 12:53:05 pm »
DC, what do you mean by lower limb?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2017, 01:01:43 pm »
Marin , DC is saying lower limb because usually we put a slightly stiffer limb down as the bottom or lower limb. Because of how bow is held lower limb gets slightly more stress and will bend a little more.
Bjrogg

Offline bubby

« Reply #268 on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:36 pm »
I was also referencing the braced photo

Offline Marin

« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2017, 03:16:27 pm »
Ah, that explains my confusion.
Sorry. I won't flip around the bow for photos.