Author Topic: Thermal Modification of Ponderosa Pine  (Read 904 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Thermal Modification of Ponderosa Pine
« on: June 12, 2016, 01:22:38 pm »
We all love heat treating our bows.  That is actually what led me to my Master's project.  How is that technology used in the wood products industry?  Turns out it's equally amazing.  Yet, no data was available for ponderosa pine, the dominant species in the largest forest restoration project in the country - the four forest restoration initiative in Arizona.  Ponderosa is a scrappy, slow growing, low value species.  If it were worth something, they could maybe get this project off the ground.  So I had some treated and tested.  Hope you all enjoy.   

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwoT0Df3xjUkZERUa2FydW1Pcjg

JacksonCash

Re: Thermal Modification of Ponderosa Pine
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:30:17 pm »
Didn't get through all of it, but read the abstract and conclusion- neat work, it would be interesting to see more research in the area for sure.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Thermal Modification of Ponderosa Pine
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 01:27:55 pm »
Couple years ago a grad student in Wyoming was studying carbon sequestration rates of the local desert sage versus ponderosa pine.  Turns out the pine is TWICE as efficient with a molecule of water than the sagebrush!!! 

I got no shortage of ponderosas here, tall, straight, and super abundant. No extra charge for the knotty character staves, either!  Am I sitting on the next goldmine of bow staves?  Is that what you are telling me?   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.