Author Topic: Cooking rock  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Cooking rock
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 06:22:45 pm »
I just noticed you are cooking flint river. My experience with that stuff is don't take it over 400 till you have checked a couple pieces. It is gorgeous to see and fine to knap after cooking.

WA

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 09:51:27 am »
when I used a turkey roaster I used a couple of the long stem deep fry thermometer for frying turkey. drill a couple holes and place two or three, along the edge and near center, and allow like was said earlier, time for temp to stabilize after making an adjustment, usually several hours.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 09:34:30 am »
Second try got a little more aggressive cooking my Flint River. I only cooked about 10 nice spalls but they turned out nice. Got a red color change on outside of stone and flaked much nicer. My brother was very happy with results. I'm only curious if color would penetrate deeper with longer soak, but don't want to chance over cooking unless someone with more experience tells me if will. Thanks for advice hopefully get some pictures of points up soon
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 11:45:27 am »
Good deal BJ
The color is a good indication of alteration.
If you have a nice gloss I would not try to heat
the rock beyond what you have accomplished.
Can you post some before and after.
I'll see what I can find.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 11:53:36 am »
Thanks Zuma I'll try to do that when I get a chance. I had one point I made turned out really nice but I broke it trying to corner notch it. My brother made a couple nice points. I could see by color change that heat had changed stone. I worked really nice. I think if I get chance will cook some more next week but gonna have to get wife's turkey toaster back soon or she'll miss it for party.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 03:53:48 pm »
In a lot of cases my stone that changed color nicely lost most of the color change as I got deeper removing flakes. I think that to get the max color change in the finished point it would be best to flake down pretty close to finished before cooking. I know that some of it is a bugger to work before cooking, and a compromise has to be reached. Maybe you could save some color change on the tip and/or a side.

WA

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 04:01:27 pm »
I've been toying with idea of cooking some then making performs and cooking again. Might try it with a couple next time. I'd love the color but really for myself I just want to make some really nice points and some really good hunting points. I did put a point that my brother had worked raw in that was full of steps and stacks. It had beautiful color after cooking and he he'd to give up a little size but came out with a really nice hunting point with some very interesting color.

Offline le0n

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 01:57:28 am »
^^ this thread needs some photos ;D

interested in seeing at least the latest hunting point that resulted from your cooking.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 06:18:21 am »
Your right le0n I'll try my best to get some up soon but I've been to busy to get them all edited. I have some pictures and I'll take some more I don't have wi-fi so I have to edit pictures at shop.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 12:14:49 pm »
Here's a few pictures top spall cooked bottom raw

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 12:21:55 pm »
The point above was cooked but most of color removed when knapping it was thinned nicely and I broke it trying to corner notch it. Next 2 are my brothers first has most of color removed but second was point he tried raw and gave up stacks and steps everywhere I cooked it and he reworked it lost some size but pretty nice point with nice color

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 05:48:28 pm »
When I heat Flint River I keep it in till it urns dark red. It cooks at the same temperature as Coral, 400-450.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 05:50:27 pm »
So you think I could cook it a little longer Eddie?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 07:50:27 am »
Yep
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 02:51:33 pm »
Well I got busted, the wife was looking for her turkey roaster and all upset. She asked my son if he knew where it was and he told her he thought dad had it. I got scolded but we all had a pretty good laugh when I brought it back all shinny clean and tried to tell her it was there right in front of her nose all the time.