Author Topic: Chrono calibration  (Read 1137 times)

Offline DC

Chrono calibration
« on: June 04, 2016, 11:34:13 am »
Anybody come up with a slick way of calibrating their chrono? I hit the wire on mine and the plastic box that holds all the electronics came apart. I managed to re-assemble it without any problems but now I question it's accuracy. I don't want to send it back to Somewhere USA and have to pay shipping both ways as well as convincing customs that it's returning from repair etc. etc. Any ideas?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Chrono calibration
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 11:51:45 am »
I'd guess it will either work or it won't work. I can't imagine there is much that can go out of "adjustment".
Just shoot an arrow through it from a bow that you have a reasonable idea of how it shoots. Or take it along to a shoot where they have a chrono and compare with that one.
Del
(My day job is designing electronics, so my guess is probably a reasonably good one)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:40:34 pm »
I'd given up on this thread. My biggest concern was the angle that the sensors are at. If the lean in at the top they would give a higher reading(note to self, remember this if you want to fake a 200FPS shot). Mine is a Chrony and it looks like the factory calibration is done using the folding feature that they brag about. They rivet the stop in place at the correct position.
Anyway, I guess you're right. I know a guy with one that I can compare with but that may not be the easiest as my shots vary by 10-15 FPS. And he may have smacked the wire on his too ;D. I don't use the wire or the shade any more. I put a piece of tape in the center and try to shoot over that.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »
Yeah those wires are daft. I have on old roller blind made of V thin boo strips, that was going to get thrown. I rescued it and use the boo strips in place of the wires, and for mixing glue and 101 other uses.
Del

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 06:05:43 pm »
I just re-read your blog from front to back. I know almost everything you've done. Ohhh, that sounds creepy doesn't it. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 04:21:19 am »
If you are really worried about calibration, you could make a simple stock and trigger to fit a bow onto for a consistent shot for comparison.
I have a little 50# crossbow pistol which I use from time to time if I doubt the chrono'.
Del
PS. Not creepy, I take it as a compliment that my writings are worth reading :)...
(But can you please stop creepin' round the back yard at night? ;) ;D )