Author Topic: Continous loop string jig plans  (Read 8185 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Continous loop string jig plans
« on: May 27, 2016, 08:11:23 pm »
I hope someone has plans for one of these string jigs that they could share with me (and others).  Anyone?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PatM

Re: Continous loop string jig plans
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:19:20 pm »
Calculate finished string length,  drill four holes in a rectangular shape in a board with the correct circumference to equal string length. Install bolts and make string. Serve loops together with string stretched to proper length between two bolts.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:38:40 pm »
Calculate finished string length,  drill four holes in a rectangular shape in a board with the correct circumference to equal string length. Install bolts and make string. Serve loops together with string stretched to proper length between two bolts.

I had to do that for one bow string....now I want to continue with other bow lengths, hence the jig thingy.  LOL

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:57:57 pm »
Drill a  new set of holes  and move the bolts. You only need to move one end. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:02:32 pm »
My first string jig was 2, 16d nails, one at one end of my work bench and at the other end a series of holes at 1" intervals. The nails slipped in and out of the holes as needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MXer

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 12:07:51 am »
I use one like this.  It's been accurate for me.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=41114.0

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 12:19:32 am »
A Google search turned up a bunch of them.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 02:14:25 am »
I have two lengths of Dexion (angle iron with holes all along it that is used for bolting together to make racking/shelving) A short bit is welded sticking up at each end and a fence eye bent into a hook used to hold the ends of the string.
Here's a pic of the mk1 here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/roys-bow-and-stringing-jig.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 03:57:59 am »
How do you stretch the string between two bolts? Maybe with some kind of screw (like in a clamp) to separate the bolts.. eh
Is there a less annoying, but simple 'setup' that allows serving the loops? 4 bolts and then moving to 2 bolts for finishing the serving sounds good ...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 04:44:47 am »
How do you stretch the string between two bolts? Maybe with some kind of screw (like in a clamp) to separate the bolts.. eh
Is there a less annoying, but simple 'setup' that allows serving the loops? 4 bolts and then moving to 2 bolts for finishing the serving sounds good ...
Bottom pic shows how the two lengths of Dexion are bolted to provide coarse length adjustment. The nuts on the hooks provide fine adjustment and tensioning. Don't look too closely at the "welding" (or glueing with slag)  :-[
To pull one side of the string out of the way while I serve, I use an S shaped bit of wire to hook it down into one of the holes in the dexion.
I've just added a picture showing the hook pulling down a bit of random string! That allows you to serve the upper bit.
Del
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:41:22 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 12:43:28 pm »
I use one like this.  It's been accurate for me.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=41114.0

I absolutely love that jig...for making Flemish twisted strings. Been using the same 2x4 with finish nails for 14 years!  The top of the jig where you cut the strands is grooved mighty deep from all the cuts.  Only reason I have not tossed it and upgraded to a nicer version is that I wanna see if the groove goes all the way thru the 2x4 eventually! 

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 02:11:28 pm »
I made this one myself,  you can get uni-strut at Lowe's
1-5/8" x 3/4" I think they are 12' long

I cut the main rail 6' long and the two shorter ones 16"

You need two washers out of 1/4" thick steel and two 3/8 allen head bolts, two more bolts for the pins (Poles) below (you can't get a wrench under there)!

My Poles (pins) are 1" round 2-1/2 tall, drill and tap 3/8" on the bottom and drill and ream for 3/8" cold roll pin or long dowel pins, total height is 4-1/2" tall. you need the room for serving.
From pin to pin needs to be center to the bolt in the middle.

Start out with all 3  uni-strut in a line, now all 4 pins are in a line, measure from outside pin to outside pin is your string length. You may have to file one of the slots in the uni-strut to get the length.
Wrap you starting point on the inside  pin I use cloths pins to hold the string.
wrap around how ever many strands you want and back to the starting place with the cloths pin.
Now you want to turn the other end without the cloths pin to 90 degrees, use a speed square to get it square.
Wrap your serving , now turn the same end back in line (all 4 pins lined up) wrap serving to finish your loop.
now you can do the other end with the cloths pin

I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 03:24:32 pm »
Looks like that design will allow a person to make loops of different sizes as well (for example, I want 6 inch loops for a horsebow right now), Mad Max. 

That helps a lot. 

Del's has some features I am mulling over as well.  I will probably cobble together some Frankenstein version and get by with it for a while.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 03:49:03 pm »
Looks like that design will allow a person to make loops of different sizes as well (for example, I want 6 inch loops for a horsebow right now), Mad Max. 

That helps a lot. 

Del's has some features I am mulling over as well.  I will probably cobble together some Frankenstein version and get by with it for a while.

Yea I have made 5-1/2" loops
You might want to cut those 16" to 18" or more
Good luck
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 08:42:54 pm »
Made this one many years go.  Fairly easy to make and still use it

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com