Author Topic: I am on a bow breaking streak!  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

I am on a bow breaking streak!
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:34:28 pm »
I decided the finished the takedown static recurve I was making as a gift for a friend in Cal. A while back I heard a “tink” but thought it was the new handle overlays hitting the sleeve, I had just changed out the walnut ones for oak burl which looked much better. I could have made three bows in the time I had in this one, it fought me every step of the way.

I had the bow strung and was tweaking the tips as well as dropping the poundage, I unstrung it, strung it back and POW!

First Gil's bow, now Bob's bow.

I burned the sleeves off and sent the bow to it's final resting place, the burn pile.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:45:23 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline crooketarrow

Re: I am on a bow breaking streak!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:58:58 pm »
 I've never seen a pile of broken bows and arrows.

I do'nt think I'd had posted that picture.

Just kidding eavey splinter has made you a better bowyer.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dmead

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »
Thats right. Sometimes you gotta break stuff to learn stuff! At least that's how I do it. Take those limbs out of the burn pile cut off the broken sections if there's enough material left and make it a kids bow by attaching them to a small riser. Maybe it can live on. Since you put a lot of time into it..or move on to another bow asap. Get back on the horse as soon as possible. Happens to all of us.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:45:40 pm »
Had it survived that would have been my 153rd bow, I don't save parts any more. When I cleaned up my shop a few months ago all those gonna' fix someday pieces went to the burn pile, I don't miss them.

A few months later the shop still looks like the clean picture because I quit keeping every scrap of wood I might have a use for someday.

It went from this, even has the bow that broke in the picture when I first started it;

To this;

Offline Dmead

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:55:11 pm »
Dang! Beautiful shop..please excuse me for a moment. .I need to go clean mine!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:44:14 pm »
The key to a nice clean shop is really simple, even so, it took me about 30 years to figure it out.

Put up all your tools and equipment at the end of the day even if you are going to use the same tools the next day. Next, spend about 5 minutes with a broom, dust pan and shop vac getting up the wood chips and sawdust off the floor and work bench.

It sure is nice to walk into a clean, organized shop the next day.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:38 pm »
I agree with keeping the shop clean after each use and I'm trying, but it ain't easy. I HATE walking into the shop and seeing the benchtops just absolutely covered in tools and bows, chips, dust and crap. Drives me nuts that I have nobody else to blame.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:35:21 am »
Tidy workplace = tidy mind :)
I had that happen once with the sleeves....I've never used them again. The area of untouched ring with them isn't great and I just don't trust them anymore, also the shape of your handle is fixed (more or less) and I don't really like how bows shoot with these sleeves fitted I feel it makes the bow a bit 'dead' but not in a nice way!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 08:02:36 am »
Sorry for the breaks, been there.  >:( Wished my shop looked like that. Very nice.
Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:37 am »
Eric, I am still learning the don't keep everything "I might have a use for" concept. I have recently moved a lot of gnarly Osage billets out of my shop, realizing that I already have more low grade wood than I will ever use.

The only thing that sets your burn pile apart from mine is that I salvage most feathers from broken arrows.  I can usually get them off without damage.

I have come to like a cylindrical handle section and, so far, have had no issue with the limb breaking at the handle. I am careful to leave the back growth ring intact all the way into the sleeve.

I need to follow your example with the shop and with how much stuff I save though, to keep the future estate sale manageable. :)

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 11:15:20 am »
Nice shop Eric, Could I ask what the stand is for in the clean shop pic the one with the 2x6 top surface?  Sorry for the bad luck I have been on the same streak lately but my pile is a lot bigger, Thanks Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 01:35:30 pm »
The narrow table is my glue-up/lay out table for BBOs, complete with C-clamp storage. The picture is from the dirty shop era.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:48:49 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 07:29:37 pm »
Looks good Eric. Thanks, Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 10:17:42 pm »
Sorry about the bows Eric but awesome shop!

Offline GB

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 02:28:57 am »
Sorry to hear it, Eric.  Guess it happens to even the best bowyers.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.