Author Topic: coy-wolves on PBS  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
coy-wolves on PBS
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »
On Nova or Nature on PBS, Tuesday evening is a program about Coy Wolves. I think they are what our East Coast coyotes are, a hybrid of coyotes, red or timber wolves and domestic dogs. Should be pretty interesting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

Re: coy-wolves on PBS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:14:48 pm »
I'll definitely watch for that.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 02:00:00 pm »
Kind of makes you wonder about the black coyote at Cade's place with the white spot on it's chest.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:50 pm »
I saw a solid black coyote at my old club in GA. He may also had white on him but I never saw it. They also bred with domestic dogs(coy dogs) so that could be where the coloration came from. Look up Carolina Dog. They are native and indigenous to the Southeast US and also bred with coyotes, wolves, etc.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 04:38:11 pm »
There is some sort of Coy-Dog in Bankhead Forest.
Not as long legged as a Coyote but a good deal stronger built.
They have a shorter snout and a wider jaw than a Coyote.
Their tails are more bushie that a Coyote but they still carry them straight out the back.

First reports of them came in about 15 years ago.  Just after the wild hog took over Bankhead Forest.
Hummm, Makes one wonder if those hogs are their primary pray....

I have seen two.  One dead one alive.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:42:12 pm »
I have see coy wolves in northern Alabama several times. The ones I saw were a good bit bigger that a standard coyote, had a coyote face but the coloration of a German Shepard with a lot of black on the back.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:25:17 pm »
  Year before I moved here a cousin on the next farm over. Shot a coal black yote but was bigger with way more hair.  I looked him over good he did'nt look like a sherperd colored tote we see around here.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Mounter

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:19:29 am »
Seen a couple killed around that had crossed with border collies. White paws, white spot on the chest.

The guy that farms my ground says there used to be a bunch that had probably crossed with his black lab..

I got the program dvr'd. Sounds interesting. Thx.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 01:57:12 am »
Muts will be muts :D
Thanks for the heads up on the show.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 02:21:03 am »
Kind of makes you wonder about the black coyote at Cade's place with the white spot on it's chest.

That is where you place your bullet! ;) ;)

Wayne

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 08:43:52 am »
there are several good books on them...I believe the coyotes in MI are more wolf then coyote. There have been quite a few studies and I know a lot of the universities in Canada are doing dna testing and the results are quite interesting.  I sent in two skulls, haven't received any results just a thank you letter.

I was obessed with chasing a black coyote for 3 years (hence my name) never got her, though. She educated and drove me crazy beyond belief - knew every possible way to dodge, uncover and spring traps, avoid snares and always manage to be just out of range when calling. Her mates and offspring not so much.  ;D 
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 09:11:11 am »

That is where you place your bullet! ;) ;)

Wayne

Bummer of a birthmark...  ;)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:29 am »
I don't have TV  :D. Maybe I can search the net and find it. Love to watch that one.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 11:09:17 am »
Mark that the black coloration in American wolves is also the result of introgression (a fancy word for crossing) with domesticated black dogs that the first Americans took with them when they crossed the Bering strait.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:39:15 pm »
Fred, Google "Coy wolf". Lots of info and at least one video from PBS about them.