Author Topic: Tiller eyes need a little help  (Read 2080 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Tiller eyes need a little help
« on: May 21, 2016, 03:05:37 pm »
I'm about to finish up this little bow for my niece. Looking for 25@24 right now I'm 25@22.
Ive sstared at this little piece of Osage for a while and I'm needing another set of eyes. Let me know if you see anything I could fix that might help  drop the last few pounds.
There is a small whoopty-doo just above my hand and the bow has a few wiggles as well. I don't want to get the handle Bending much because there is a knot just above center.  Let me know what ya'll think.

Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ajooter

Re: Tiller eyes need a little help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »
first half of the bootom limb looks stiff to me.  im sure your slowly getting the handle the bend more and more as you increase the drawlength.  Should make a nice shooter!

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 04:03:57 pm »
I think that both arms could bend a little more in the mid section..if you want to keep the handle stiff, thenn the arms should work a little more.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:14:58 pm »
Bring the mids around on both, top looks worse to me and it's bending plenty in the handle as is
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Thunder

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 06:48:27 pm »
Same thing bubby said...
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:51:26 pm »
+3 bottom limb looks a little stiffer.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 03:07:50 am »
Will do,  thanks guy's. The bottom limb has a little more reflex than the top limb does in the mid section. What you guys said are the areas I've been working on so I guess my eyes wasn't as bad as I thought. Lol
I've just broke a few here lately and figured I better get a few opinions before I hand it over to a 9 year old. Thanks again.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 08:13:20 am »
With the deflexed resting profile your bow should look like it's bending in a nice arch.Your very close.Great bow for a 9 year old.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 10:22:47 am »
Thanks Ed,  this bow is on I work on a couple of years ago. I bent it on my R/D caul. The tips used to be about 3inches long on each end. They were pretty narrow and I'd made them unstable. So when I broke the other bow I was making her I grabbed this one and cut the tips off. My trouble is there was about an inch of reflex in the mid limb sections. That's why I thought I was pretty close.

Patrick