Author Topic: Yellow Birch and HHB  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Yellow Birch and HHB
« on: May 20, 2016, 05:42:40 pm »
I cut a good size Yellow Birch about 20 years ago, made a few bows with the wood but was generally not that impressed with it so the rest sat in storage ever since.  Last year I pulled out a quarter log  and started wondering how it would do as backings.  I squared the edges up and cut a quarter sawn strip for bending to see how it behaved.  I was totally impressed with the wood.  I could practically tie the strip into a knot except for where the strip was cut from the butt end.  There it broke quite easily and I could see from the break that the tree had for some reason grown in a slight spiral for the first 20" so I shelved that idea.  I sort of figured though that a plain sawn strip from this wood would be okay. 

Now I'm not one to waste good wood and I had cut a belly strip from a primo HHB stave that I used to make a D bow a few months ago.  The strip was only 1/2" thick at best but I knew I could make something from it if I backed it so couple weeks ago I decided to try the plain sawn Birch on it.  Because the HHB was a bit thin I used a slightly thicker backing to make up the difference at the grip and tapered it aggressively for the limbs.  You can see from the pictures that it worked quite well.

The bow is 61" N to N with 1 1/2" wide limbs tapering to 1/2" wide nocks.  I didn't add any reflex in the glue-up until about 2/3 of the way down the limbs.  The bow lost hardly any of the glued in reflex and finished up at just over 50# @ 28", I even pulled it to 29" to see what that would do to it.  It's got some impressive string tension.  Here's some pics of the finished bow

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:42:50 am by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline GB

Re: Yellow Birch and HHB
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:13:45 pm »
That sure is bending beautifully.  Nice!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:13:55 pm »
Nice.Cool.That's what's called putting strength where it's needed and less where it is'nt tapering like that.
You know I got a half form for reflex I use that puts the reflex on the outer third of the limbs where the work load is'nt so much on these limbs and am most times pretty pleased with the way the reflex stays and the inner third if of limb if tapered correctly does'nt take any set but stays flat.Usually but not always though the limbs are heat treated overall though too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 01:36:39 am »
Has anybody the latin name of yellow birch?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 02:36:05 am »
Betula alleghaniensis according to wikipedia.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 06:23:01 am »
Nice looking bow Marc. You sure didn't waste any material there. That full draw couldn't look better if you drew it in. Really nice bend.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 06:57:07 am »
Thanks guys.  I tried to keep the handle area as stiff as possible.  No heat-treating done here

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 07:37:34 am »
Good looking bow Marc, everything is working nicely. Do you know what the bow weighs by any chance?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 07:40:11 am »
Yep your glue line did that for ya.I've heard said it's the second best way to hold reflex on these bows besides it being naturally there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »
Cool combo and sweet bow Marc

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 01:15:29 pm »
Thanks guys

Good looking bow Marc, everything is working nicely. Do you know what the bow weighs by any chance?

If you mean its physical weight then no, I don't have the means to weigh it accurately.  If you mean it's draw weight then it's just over 50#, which I see that I wrote incorrectly in my first post

Anyway the purpose of this post was to pass on my findings about Yellow Birch as a backing.  If you have access to some with straight grain then do not be afraid to use it as it's a great backing material

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com