Author Topic: Ash tree scrutiny? (Pics.)  (Read 5040 times)

Offline silent sniper

Ash tree scrutiny? (Pics.)
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:40:32 am »
Hello fellow Bowyers. I am new to this wonderful art of bow building and I could use some advice. My father in law is cutting down several trees and he said I could have any of them if I wanted. I believe they are Ash trees but I am not 100% sure. Is ash a good bow wood for a starting bowyer?  If it is worth the trouble; then I would like your advice on which tree(s) to take.

He is cutting the tree directly in front of the cabin along with the 2 on the left side of it that are flagged. My first impression is I like the one farthest to the left, it looks like it has a couple sections of nice straight trunk. The tree on the right is bigger, but has a slight dog leg in it and is not as straight.   The first 8 feet on the tree in front of the cabin looks quite straight as well.... 

Anyhow, I just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks, SS.

tree directly in front of cabin

Trees on the left side

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Ash tree scrutiny? (Pics.)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:50:58 am »
Welcome, ash can make a good bow and has been used by bowyers on either side of the Atlantic for years. Any of the three trees should be doable. Besides looking for a straight trunk, also look for a straight grain-a trunk without any twists. Try to avoid any knots as well. With these large trunk trees you should be able to get some staves that are clean, a seven foot log will allow plenty of length to work with. Have fun.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:02:12 am »
You'll have to go deeper into the log to get a good back ring and hope the wood hasn't started degrading. Those trees will be riddled with emerald Ash borers.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:04:26 am »
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Its dead and appears to have been dead for a good while.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:14:53 am »
I'm with Pearly, all the ash trees around here are standing dead, ruined by the emerald ash borer. It looks like yours is too. You could cut it and do a bend test on a small piece, but I'd be surprised if it was worth the effort.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:21:54 am »
They are probably still clinging to life since it looks like a few leaves are still sprouting. It takes a long time before the tree gets completely starved.

The trees that get taken down here at that stage still appear to have normal wood although I haven't bothered to bend any of it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 08:29:10 am »
Dead trees make dead bows and good firewood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 08:43:49 am »
 It is hard to see in the picture but they certainty have leaves. With that said, I did notice the outside of the wood may be kind of "chalky".  If they are not worth the effort then they will be firewood. I just want to make sure I am not missing what could be a few good staves. Thanks, SS

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:36 am »
I wouldn't mess with it.  If the ash trees are like the ones around here the borers attacked the big trees first.  Try to look for some smaller trees without signs of borer damage. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 11:08:08 am »
My opinion (worth the paper this is printed on) would be if you are cutting the tree down anyway, whats the harm? The worst case is that you lose some sweat, and learn for the next time.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 11:38:18 am »
My opinion (worth the paper this is printed on) would be if you are cutting the tree down anyway, whats the harm? The worst case is that you lose some sweat, and learn for the next time.

Why waste time?  If he looking to learn id buy a board. Bad habits are learned on wood like that

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 12:05:56 pm »
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Its dead and appears to have been dead for a good while.

Yep!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 12:16:50 pm »
If you have ash around there, you probably have some elms to. Id hunt one of those down if your in the bow wood market. What you have there is some incredibly good firewood. Its burns hot and long.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 12:24:34 pm »

If you are going to spend 30-50 hours on a bow, why not set yourself up for success rather than failure?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 12:27:51 pm »
It looks to me that the bore has eaten the cambium and probably also will have bore holes in the 1st several growth rings. My 1 st attempt at a bow was from very simular tree. I think you'd gain only experience which can be valuable in itself, but I'm afraid chances of finding a survivor bow with that much bore are slim. However if you feel the urge to, go for it, it's only wood and probably only firewood which you can still use it for after it breaks. I knew my 1st attempt would not survive but I gained a lot of experience. Glad to have you here hope you find some good wood and post some bows. Once you shoot that 1st arrow from your bow your hooked no going back. I agree with Pearl now is a good time to harvest Elm, HHB ( ironwood) and get some curing.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise