Author Topic: If ya make it, ya gotta use it!  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
If ya make it, ya gotta use it!
« on: May 18, 2016, 11:49:58 am »
During weekend slapped together a dip tank to apply sealer to arrow shafts.

So just HAD to make some arrows to test it out. Right?

So today, guess will HAVE to grind some feathers!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:05:52 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

Re: If ya make it, ya gotta use it!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 11:56:50 am »
Those should show up well in the cabbage next week.  Nice work on them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:10:25 pm »
Nice looking arrows Knoll. Are those hand painted markings? It looks like the sealer worked good I always have trouble with my paint bleeding when I brush on my sealer I just use watercolor paint I should probably spray sealer on markings 1st
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:30:47 pm »
Dip tank contains 50/50 mix of water and matte Polycrylic. I think mixture of more water & less Polycrylic could have been used,
Did 2 dips of shafts before cresting (painting).
Paints are cheap acrylic water-based from that huge store chain owned by folks in AR.
After cresting, used spray lacquer on crested areas to seal paint.
Then one more time into dip tank.

Have no idea how finish will hold up. Will find out at Marshall ... if weather cooperates.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »
Nice work knoll, real nice

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:54:47 pm »
When I made my dip tank I didn't think I would use it much. But it's so convenient I find that every time I do something to an arrow, usually point work, I finish with a quick dip. Even if it's just the front 6". It's always sitting right there, no brushes to clean or rags to dispose of. I'll bet it takes less than minute. I wish I'd made it just before I made my first arrows.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 02:13:27 pm »
Knoll - - I do the same as you -  2 dips - crest and then I dip again 2 or 3 times.  I use testors model paint, and never had any issue with the paint running when doing the over dipping.  Oil paint and water based poly - as long as they are dry before the next go thru, you are good to go.

Russ 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 02:57:23 pm »
I have 3 different dip tubes that have solidified. I stopped using them because it took almost a quart to fill them and I don't make enough arrows to use it up. I wasted a lot sealer. Now I don't know what to do with them. I feel irresponsible tossing it in the garbage. So they sit in the corner. Maybe there are sealers with longer shelf lives.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 03:07:01 pm »
I'm also using 50/50 acrylic/water. I've only had it for a few months but no sign of skinning over so far. I've used the same acrylic for years and it's never skinned over in the can. I'll have to wait and see. I hope it doesn't, that would suck.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 03:14:18 pm »
I hope it doesn't skin up on you. Id like to dip again, but poly skins over in a hurry. I couldn't find a good way to eliminate all the air seeping in. Even tried wax paper under the cap.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 03:51:56 pm »
Tube I made is just 3/4" pvc & 'bout 33" long. With 50/50 blend water/Polycrylic filled tube with less than 1/2 pint of the 'crylic.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 04:35:54 pm »
I have 3 different dip tubes that have solidified. I stopped using them because it took almost a quart to fill them and I don't make enough arrows to use it up. I wasted a lot sealer. Now I don't know what to do with them. I feel irresponsible tossing it in the garbage.

Do you have a red headed step child? >:D

Wayne

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 04:55:09 pm »
Here is a picture of mine I just made about a month ago. I added a short piece of 3in pipe for a bigger reservoir and to put on a cap. The cap is a 3in fernco cap. Solid rubber and a hose clamp to tighten it up. Seals perfect and no leaks. I have it full of poly acrylic and it's still like new.

Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 05:06:43 pm »
I used WoodenArrow's idea of 1-lb coffee can lid to cap mine. It didn't fit tight at first. Wrapped pvc w/ several layers of painter's tape and it's better fit now. But am confident Pat's solution is better.

Offline Patches

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 08:27:53 am »
Those are some nice looking arrows Mike.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."