Author Topic: String alignment (bang)  (Read 8871 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: String alignment
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 01:39:41 pm »
if you are really worried ,, you can always reduce your target weight and shorten the draw,,that will help overbuild the design,, if it works ,, you can be more aggressive on the next one,, no need to push it, if you don't know what the wood will do,, or if you are in doubt :)

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 02:18:45 pm »
It's a full 72" so that will take a lot of strain off I hope. My big concern is that I haven't seen another Cascara as twisty as this around here. Most are pipe straight. I just stumbled on this one when I got way off the beaten path. What happens, happens. It won't be the end of the world.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 03:26:27 pm »
I think it will make it,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 02:38:31 pm »
This isn't supposed to happen, is it?  I got it to 40#@26, so I exercised it a bit, then it was 40#@27 1/2 then this. I never heard a tick, but I may have missed it(hearing aids). Anyway I can't see an obvious reason. Looks like tension break right on top of the crown to my uneducated eyes. It is in an area that got a bit of steaming but there isn't many areas that didn't get steam. To bad, it would have been an interesting bow. Better to have it happen now than after all the finishing. I was that close.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 02:40:06 pm »
Its highly reflexed there and the only area moving, by looking at it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:06:42 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

Re: String alignment (bang)
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 02:58:35 pm »
Can you re-write that PD? It seems to be missing a few words.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 03:00:42 pm »
I think new meant it was the only area moving

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 03:08:15 pm »
Yes sir. That 18" of flatness after that area did nothing but dish all its work load off on that already strained 8" area. Pop goes the splinter!

I told you I was scared of that one, and I aint skeered of very much bow wood :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 03:18:48 pm »
I was suspicious of that area on both limbs but just a few scrapes before this I clamped a splinter to the flat area on the back so I could see if it was moving. It was but probably not enough. I was going to not scrape the big bends and then all of a sudden I was at weight and then break. First time with Cascara I was surprised how much wood it took to get weight. It was .70" thick where it broke. It was the only piece of Cascara I had so I can't jump back on the horse.

Offline bow101

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 07:45:09 pm »
Wood bows break tell me about it, I shot 800 arrows thru my last one., she broke.   :(  enough is enough, I rest my case/
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2016, 08:42:31 pm »
Gone over to the dark side Dean? ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 09:34:33 pm »
DC.....I had a red cedar indicate to me to be losing draw weight as the draw length got longer before it broke.I know now that's an indication the wood is breaking down.At least it did it on the tree for ya.Mine did too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 11:28:08 pm »
Is that the cambium that broke. It looks darker than the wood below.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 11:51:28 pm »
Is that the cambium that broke. It looks darker than the wood below.

I was kinda wondering the same thing Pat.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 12:21:57 am »
That is what my steamed shellac looks like. I shellac the back of everything and when I steam it turns dark. It's old shellac, that may have something to do with it. It also stays sticky for quite a while and picks up a layer of crud.