Author Topic: String alignment (bang)  (Read 8873 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: String alignment
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 09:05:18 pm »
it won't do that,, it will kind of line up better than laying flat like you have it,, but if it did,, it would not matter,, :)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 01:18:24 am »
DC, now I see what you are asking for.

Asuming that s- shape bow:
here you will get a torsion in the limbs, upper opposing to the lower. So string alignment is correct when both limbs travel the same amount.

your bow (only one limb C-shaped):
Think on the cross section where the curve makes the greatest wave. Looking from bellyside you should leave the material at the inner curve slightly thicker than at the outer curve. This will prevent twisting.

Hope this is useful for you
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 08:05:47 am »
I don't get what people are talking about here.  I've made several bows with jogs in the limbs like this and as long as the bow is well tillered then there will be no twisting.  Look at this one that has the grip area fully off to one side making it fully center shot

There is no twisting here and the bow shoots great.  I've also seen many bows posted with such character
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 09:51:13 am »
Like said earlier from some.Get it at a low brace.See what ya got.I have bows with the string off to one edge of limb one way or the other too at brace.They shoot fine.I'm sure you've seen this too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 01:40:40 pm »
I'll add do not narrow/reduce the handle area at all until it's braced. Then you can assess what is going on better and shape the handle to the string. Much easier than trying to steam or such.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 05:56:47 pm »
Here it is on lowish brace. You can see how much outside the bow the string goes in the third picture. I seems to pull OK out to about 10-12" @ 40# and that's as far as I've pulled it. On lower brace it wanted to torque in my hand a touch but that seems to be gone with the higher brace. Any suggestions or should I just keep on keepin' on :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 06:11:06 pm »
yes get the limbs bending, ,what a crazy piece of wood,, I bet it will shoot great,, go slow and keep the taper even on the roller coaster,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 07:52:15 pm »
That's ok.......about the string where it is.40#@ 10 to 12 inches....You got plenty of wood yet.I like it.It's gonna be a bow people will scratch their head about why it shoots so well.Believe me.Your top view taper looks good I think.Now you need to slowly get your thickness taper then get to your drawweight.This one will take a little time.Remove ,bend/remove ,bend etc. slowly and when your done I'll vote for it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 08:59:14 pm »
I chickened out a bit and bent it a little in the direction of the arrow. The handle is kind of canted perfectly for a lefty, which I am but I shoot righty so the string was off a bit. Hopefully the bend I just made will just correct that.  If not I may have to do the same on the other limb.

Offline simson

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 06:25:40 am »
Huui, That is an interesting piece for sure!
I see two possibilities (looking at the last pic)
first: as I mentioned above in my post, make the cross section in the lower limb asymmetrical, thicker at the inner curve and thinner at the outer curve where the red arrow is.
second: heat that big curve (or the most of it) out, when you have done that you have to correct with a second bending in the handle portion
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 11:35:29 am »
orientate the handle or point  toward the string,, then see which limb is up,,or which limb the bow shoots the best at ,, up,, once you start to shoot the bow,,, you will see you don't need to bend it,, if it won't shoot ok, bend it,, but I think its gonna shoot like it is,,,, leaving part of the bend thick like simson  said ,, seems like a good idea,, :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 10:24:32 am »
I would just carry on, I have built several somewhat like that with no problems, it seem the limbs are close to opposite each other so they will off set any twist in your hand. I would get it shooting and go from there.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 11:45:45 am »
  Personally that's more of a gap than I use.  I do as GEORGE said cut the knocks in deeper to the other side of where the arrow will lay, shelf or hand . This will make better alignment. If I think it's still to much out of line. I 'll been the handle some to help out.

But if it's file in deeper tips. If I think this makes the alignment close enough. Then I'd just use it but I'd turn the bow to make it more center shot.

How close the alignment has to be out of line. I build all my bows center shot. So if you can turn the bow over. If it's with in a 1/4 inch of center shot. It'll shoot OK if it's not that close I'll been the handle. Then I'll make it center shot. If it's OK the the owner.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »
I have an ocean spray that is way off like yours, but crosses the handle. Its just fine and doesn't torque at all, and shouldn't torque at all. My only concern with this project would be tillering that bugger. I aint scared of bow wood, but that one gives me the heeby geebys.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 01:33:29 pm »
I'm going to have a tough time with the one I think. It is my first Cascara and I don't have any idea what to expect. Vinemaplebows has doubted that it will work, he says cascara isn't that strong in tension and this is a high crowned stave. Add to that the lumpy back. With that in mind I am proceeding with hope but without expectations. I've got it to brace height so that's a start. Listen closly, you may hear a bang in the next few days :D