Author Topic: Quivers fur side in?  (Read 4149 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Quivers fur side in?
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:57:36 am »
Any body make quivers fur side in? I realize everyone likes the look of the fur and I haven't made my own yet but have been planing one in my head. I'm thinking I want to go fur side in for several reasons. (1) burdock. Devils tail and all those other clingy seeds I always have to remove from fur before I put it up. (2) keep arrow protected and quite (3) keep arrows from falling out. I l have a couple mink that I use to transport and store my arrows. They are not yet tan just taken off the boards basically fur on rawhide. They work really well, with my stone point arrows i can hold upside down and they won't fall out.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

Re: Quivers fur side in?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:04:41 pm »
I'd be interested in what folks think also. :-\
I have parts of a Kudu, Zebra and an otter
hide that can be made into quivers.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:46:10 pm »
My blueprint in my head will use tail as part of strap for a hip quiver I might try to dress it up with some beads and a bit of fringe and fur trim. So far it's all in my head if anybody has any tips or examples I'd love to see them

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:55:10 pm »
Ishi made them fur side in. Form follows function :)

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:31:30 pm »
I've seen a Navajo mountain lion quiver and bowcase set with the fur in on the bowcase and out on the quiver. I saw one attributed to Ishi that was otter and had the fur outside. Majority had the fur outside and I  haven't seen any personally fur inside. Doesn't mean you can't but as far as native quivers go majority were fur in.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:34:47 pm by Peatreg »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:02 pm »
I've done both. I did a cased out Otter hide with the fur in and a skinned out otter hide with it out. I liked the fur in the best. I had trouble with sharp broadheads working through the fur out hide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:56:56 pm »
I've seen a Navajo mountain lion quiver and bowcase set with the fur in on the bowcase and out on the quiver. I saw one attributed to Ishi that was otter and had the fur outside. Majority had the fur outside and I  haven't seen any personally fur inside. Doesn't mean you can't but as far as native quivers go majority were fur in.
I gotta see if these two post have the in and out correct??
Eddie you explained " You have trouble getting the points through the
fur OUT??
Ok so In and Out were lost. How did momma skunk find them??
Instinct
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 10:03:36 pm »
Sorry Zuma, that last part you highlighted in red should have said fur out and not fur in

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:30:02 am »
LOL no need for apology.
So much in and out it's easy to
get inside out. I think I am getting dyslexic
so I am probably overboard when it comes to reading
and writting. Thanks for the info Peatreg.
Wondering if it would pay to use the premo furs out
and line the insides with possum coon or groundhog etc.
Zuma

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:09:37 pm »
 I saw one attributed to Ishi that was otter and had the fur outside.

Yes you did,but those were early pics taken by Thomas Waterman,while the quiver was in possession of the man,who took it and other things,from wowanupo,or the invaded camp.Jack Apperson,initially refused to relinquish the items to the university,but later,when the group,including Ishi,came back to the region,they convinced Apperson to sell.After re reacquiring the quiver,Ishi informed them,that it was turned inside out and that he carried it fur side in.It is still exhibited that way at the university today.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 06:15:38 am »
Thank you for all your replies. That is an interesting piece of information I didn't know Traxx. To me at least for a hunting quiver it seems to make more practical since to put fur in and I would think that the early primitive people would have thought so to but this is purely speculation on my part. For me I like how even with my target points with my mink I can turn completely upside and they don't fall out, they don't rattle, and they stay right where I put them. I do think long haired winter hides might be a little difficult to pull broad heads out of I can feel some resistance with my stone points, but nothing that I would consider a problem.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 05:05:36 pm »
I copied Ishi's when I made the cased out hide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?