Author Topic: Takedown sleeve option...... failure  (Read 4878 times)

Offline paulsemp

Takedown sleeve option...... failure
« on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:13 pm »
I finally found two pipes that perfectly mate. 11/4 thin-walled conduit and 11/4 Type L copper. Only downside I've seen yet is that there's a seam weld on the Conduit that protrudes inside maybe a 64th of an inch. Very easy to remove with a half round file. Stick them in a vice and oval out. Perfect Flawless fit. Have not installed it yet but I cannot see what the downside may be. Copper is soft and can dent but so is brass. Thousands of feet of each on the job I'm at now and I already got permission for scraps. Hoping the best considering I can't stomach spending $40 on two little pieces of metal. Plus I'm getting close to nothing but billets. Any you guys interested in trying that are going to Marshall I'll bring some with me for you guys to try out.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:00:10 am by paulsemp »

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Takedown sleeve option
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:50:55 pm »
I'd like to try some Paul.  Maybe we can work out a trade for a couple of sets.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:07 pm »
I also meant to say that it finishes out just slightly larger then the small takedown sleeve you buy it all the archery shops.

No problem Clint.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:27:35 am »
I aint scared, bring me a set and Ill toss some yew on them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 07:22:03 am »
Good find, Paul, and good luck with 'em!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 07:53:02 am »
Paulie, if ya got enough for a set for me, I'd give a set of Semp Sleeves a try!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline PNewton

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 08:53:40 am »
If you have an extra set, I'll give one a try Paul. See you in a couple weeks.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:29:38 am »
Paul, i would go for a more egg shaped profile.
What is the outer diameter of the main pipe?
Copper is a bit soft as you already metioned, brass is stronger. I've used also steel/steel combo with success, perhaps you can find a matching steel pipe at work.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 11:49:54 am »
Ya simson that was just a test in the shape could go anyway you want. I work in construction at a lot of Laboratories with all sorts of different piping and I've yet to find anything that fits this tight. I would love to know of any pipes that fit that tight. I saw your post on the telescopic poles and all the ones I've found are very sloppy. As for the soft copper I figure once it's glued in there's really nowhere for it to deform. But it certainly could scratch. No promises here on the ones I'm bringing but for free it's certainly worth a shot. I'm going to get a set of billets ready with sleeves so I can make a bow at Marshall with them. That way if there's a failure I could throw all of them in the garbage or find a solution

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:19 am »
Sure. thanks Paul, I'll take a set. Been needing a set for a yew bow Im going to start
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 04:57:03 pm »
Please count me in on a set .....Thanks Paul
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 07:38:44 pm »
thats great paul i recently found that a 1 1/2'' electric conduit and some 1 3/8'' 20ga stainless steel tubing i got from work fit nicely together ;D

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 12:30:47 am »
Got one setup going. Looking promising

Offline simson

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 01:09:46 am »
looks like a nice snug fit, and the billets have a bit of character  >:D >:D >:D
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 01:58:42 am »
If you do a lot of bow 'takedowning' the steel will wear the copper. Steel on steel would be my preference. Hard to get a really good tight fit without bulging the copper.There has to be someone who makes steel tubes that will fit. I use glass now because it allows you to use any handle shape and is super strong.