Author Topic: Small wood haul  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Small wood haul
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 10:25:37 pm »
Patrick
It was the chainsaw from hell as far as I was concerned, had it for many years....Clint did such a great job on the last saws he worked on I though he could work his magic on this one......he still hasn't given up but that saw is cursed!!!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mounter

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 10:44:15 pm »
Please excuse the dumb question, but is there an easy way to tell tight ringed osage before you cut it? i'm firing up the saw tomorrow..

I can usually tell what kind of rings a tree will have by judging the bark.  There is a difference between young looking bark and old looking bark.  At least that is my observations for the trees on my property.  I did a post about reading the bark a while back.  Here is a link to page 2 where I have some pictures of the difference in bark.
Awesome! I've cut, burned,cleared and just thrown away Osage pretty much forever, but I can't recall seeing one like that 4th and 5th pic. Very unusual! I will be paying a lot more attention in the future. Thanks for the info!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49976.15.html

Offline Mounter

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 10:48:22 pm »
Somehow my post got mixed with yours...(new guy?) lol. Thanks for the info!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 11:26:04 pm »
whooo i'm happy to see you found some honeysuckle that was worth cutting ;D
keep a close eye on it though, this time of year it can check down to the pith over the coarse of a warm afternoon :-X
if it starts too check remove the bark and a small amount of wood from the belly side to get it under control ;)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 11:33:32 pm »
Patrick
It was the chainsaw from hell as far as I was concerned, had it for many years....Clint did such a great job on the last saws he worked on I though he could work his magic on this one......he still hasn't given up but that saw is cursed!!!
DBar

I hear ya,  my dad had an ancient McCulloch that we would take turns pulling until it started. Great running saw once it got running.
He gave it to me a few years ago. I took it apart and found a crack in a carburetor gasket. Made a new one out of an old cereal box.  Put a new plug in it and it fired and ran on the second pull. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 11:40:42 am »
I'll see what I can do with the saw Patrick.  Thanks.

Here is a larger piece of that honeysuckle.  It would make some nice knife scales.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 11:46:38 am »
That looks nice!  So here you are with a piece of wood you've never used before. How do you decide whether to do a heartwood/sapwood or all heartwood? That would look so nice as heartwood/sapwood, kind of like yew on steroids.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:43 am »
Nice saplings! ;)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 05:12:50 pm »
And it looks like the chain could use some sharpening, looking at the saw marks on the osage  O:)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 05:46:16 pm »
And it looks like the chain could use some sharpening, looking at the saw marks on the osage  O:)

The wood is bad, Send it to me, I'll even pay shipping!  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:35 pm »

The chain was sharp.  A dull chain won't cut osage.  The tree hung up on the tree next to it.  It tool some careful sawing to cut the final bit of wood to get it loose.  Osage trees almost never fall over clean when you cut them. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left